CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Tony Zaborski

Profile:
The Perfect Pullup?

http://www.perfectpullup.com/ w/s

Now, I'm in an apartment and I know the most ideal situation would be to be in a house and build some other contraption and turn the garage into a fitness center. but since I'm not in this situation right now... what do you guys/gals think of this?

I bet I could even buy some rings and set it up on this... It says it holds 300 lbs, and I don't think I'd have to use the hand things they give you.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Keith Stevens

Profile:
Re: The Perfect Pullup?

It just looks like a glorified expandable pullup bar.
You can probably get one for $20-30. If you want more security, look at the pictures of the mounts and make your own out of wood and screw them into the door frame. Even easier, if you can make the mounts, just buy metal pipe to fit and you have your pull-up bar.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Get rings...

I'm not sure the "perfect pull-up" comes with the bar like that -- I thought it was just the hooked "ring" attachments. In either case, you'd get more use out of a pair of rings and a "Door Gym," which probably would cost much less.

Rings would be a lot more versatile and you can do everything with rings that you can do with that contraption.

Edit: I stand corrected; it does come with the bar. But even so... rings!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Tony Zaborski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
Get rings...

I'm not sure the "perfect pull-up" comes with the bar like that -- I thought it was just the hooked "ring" attachments. In either case, you'd get more use out of a pair of rings and a "Door Gym," which probably would cost much less.

Rings would be a lot more versatile and you can do everything with rings that you can do with that contraption.

Edit: I stand corrected; it does come with the bar. But even so... rings!

Right, The thing with the door gym is it won't work in our apartment because we don't have a frame its just wall basically. I'd rather get something that can go up and down easily but unfortunately I don't have the infrastructure to use it.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Tony Zaborski

Profile:

er, make that no molding,
Old 06-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

You could always hang rings from something else as well -- can't say the same for the perfect pull-up. Go to a park and hang them from a tree, or just about anything stable, really.

I'd still say go for the rings... they're way more versatile
Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Ed Briones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Zaborski View Post
http://www.perfectpullup.com/ w/s

Now, I'm in an apartment and I know the most ideal situation would be to be in a house and build some other contraption and turn the garage into a fitness center. but since I'm not in this situation right now... what do you guys/gals think of this?

I bet I could even buy some rings and set it up on this... It says it holds 300 lbs, and I don't think I'd have to use the hand things they give you.
http://www.teeterhangups.com/products/bar.html w/s

this is what i use with my elite rings. i can do dips, pull ups, push ups and more verstalite than the "perfect pullups". the only thing that you probably wont be able to do is muscle ups, you gotta go to a park for that.

eddie
Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I have a cheap Everlast doorway pull-up bar and rings. About the same price and the bar theoretically has the same 300lb limit. And the rings I can take anywhere and do anything I want with.

Maybe they'll come out with "The Perfect Squat" next, complete with rotating footholds. Which then brings up the idea of doing squats on rings, broken limbs ensuing.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Maybe they'll come out with "The Perfect Squat" next, complete with rotating footholds. Which then brings up the idea of doing squats on rings, broken limbs ensuing.
Then you could use all three for "As Seen on TV Cindy"
Old 06-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I got to play with the perfect pushup a few weeks ago since my friend bought one and we were messing around with them after workout. They have a bit of inherent instability I wasn't used to, similar to rings, but I rarely do pushups on rings.

I did see the commercial the other night and never a horizontal pullup/body row was called an Australian pullup. How interesting. I even managed to see it called that during some workout show on A&E my friend watches ( Sky gym? )

For the price of the perfect pushup and pullup, you could buy a pair of rings and probably one of those door bars that attach inside the door frame.

The idea of rotating the rings while doing a pullup looks interesting. Jim of beastskills apparently does during icecream-makers which I've never tried.

I always thought doing leg lifts on the forearms and underarm were lame compared to a hang or support.

Besides these, perfect pullups probably have nowhere near the instability of rings that makes things interesting.