CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
John Daniel

Profile:
Top 10 in Crossfit Games and Badwater 135

It was mentioned on the Crossfit Endurance site that someone was attempting a top 10 finish in both the Crossfit Games and the Badwater 135 (I believe the toughest foot race in the world.) All this training less than 8 hours a week - pretty amazing if he pulls it off!

Who is this? I assume it is one of Brian McKenzie's clients.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Re: Top 10 in Crossfit Games and Badwater 135

I thought it was Brian himself. I'd love to konw how he is training.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Holy cow, I'd like to know, too.

Last year, I watched a documentary about the Badwater 135 called RUNNING ON THE SUN. (I think that's the title.)

The hero of that story, for me, was the young Marine who had to drop out early because he got heat exhaustion and needed IV fluids, which disqualifies a runner.

He and his team "adopted" this young woman from England who only had one person on her team, and someone not very in tune with her or very helpful. This Marine and his buddies first-aided her, paced her, fed her, kept her hydrated and moving, and she managed to finish in under 45 hours, thus earning the Badwater belt buckle.

So the young Marine got this gal across the finish line with a qualifying time, while he, himself, got nothing. I was so impressed that instead of going home beaten or sulking, he managed to do something really wonderful for that girl.

He was more my hero than the winner---a guy they described as dropping out of ultramarathons if he feels he can't win them.

Susie
Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

That would be quite interesting if he could even finish the race by training less than 8 hours per week, since the race itself will take much more than 8 hours by itself.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

My guess is that if you can run the Badwater 135 you should be pretty comfortable with the 5K at any terrain, which should be translate into a victory at the CF games. Winning the CFT and the Hopper would probably be much harder, considering the lifting and running you'd have to do within a short training period. Running far/hard after a day of heavy squats or cleans is very painful. Not to mention the fact many Games competitors seemed to focus their energies heavily toward the CFT.
But this is a great goal for anyone to strive for; I really hope he does it.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Jake Oleander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
But this is a great goal for anyone to strive for
i have to disagree, this badwater competition is probably the most unhealthy thing anyone could do to their body. im surprised no one has died yet...
Old 04-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post
i have to disagree, this badwater competition is probably the most unhealthy thing anyone could do to their body. im surprised no one has died yet...
Well, let me just clarify my point; I think it's an impressive goal for anyone to strive for. Probably not a great thing to do for your body, but I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is, only that it can be accomplished.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Because the athletes that run the thing are so in tune with their bodies that they know when enough is too much.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
John Daniel

Profile:

Quote:
Compared to the typical american diet and exercise program, I think the Badwater, especially when only training 8 hours a week, is not even close to as bad as what the majority of Americans do everyday.

I think the appeal of Badwater is not health, it's pushing your body (hopefully without breaking) to a limit few people can.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
I think the appeal of Badwater is not health, it's pushing your body (hopefully without breaking) to a limit few people can.
Hmm, substitute the word "crossfit" for "badwater" and I think that statement still holds true, hehe.

In the "what is fitness?" CFJ article (available free off the main site) there is a continuum from Sickness to Wellness to Fitness. I like the distinction between Wellness and Fitness. We are striving to be FIT, but I don't think the way we train is the best if your only goal is to be healthy (for example I wouldn't be sick this weekend like I am if I hadn't kicked my *** in the gym on thursday. I did get a good time on the WOD I was doing though )

I love crossfit style training but I honestly think that if your only goal is health and living to an ancient age you should just swim, hike, do yoga, and eat a well balanced (i.e. not extreme carb free or anything) natural diet. Well . . . maybe throw in some deadlifts too for good measure