CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #21
Kalen Meine

Profile:
To fit into Rob's vein, I actually saw a gymnastics document that kinda irritated me in that same light- suggesting that parents with tall/heavy children or who expect their children will be tall or heavy should keep them out of gymnastics, because having long, heavy levers will probably lock them out of Olympic level competition. Kinda makes the endless problems of obsessive soccer moms and angry hockey dads, year-round sport clubs, disheartened and discouraged overweight children, and steroids in sports all make sense, doesn't it? If the end goal for every kid is world-level competition in a sport they selected when they were 7, then physical culture has some issues.

Anyway. That was mildly off-topic. Walsh hit the nail on the head, and so has Coach on numerous occasions. Plain and simple, you want to be as strong as you can at whatever size. If an equation states it'll be easier for you as a light guy to do an iron cross or for you as a hulk to do a titanic C&J, well, guess what- that doesn't excuse little guy from being able to C&J the equivalent of his heaviest opponent, or the big guy from 25 pullups. Would I probably be giving each more kudos compared to how hard it is for them? Sure, just like I'd really be cheering for a fat man pulling in a good mile run or a short guy with his first dunk.

This is why I always really like multi-sport competitions- like the decathlon. The winners come in all different sizes, because there's all different ways to win. Of course there are limits, and probable ranges, but they're broader than just about any other sport. And there's no messing around with bulking up or cutting down- if there's a pound of anything on your body, it had better be well placed, well trained, tough, strong, and fast.