CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Spencer Fossier

Profile:
Is there a better site?

I've been lurking for a couple months and joined a couple weeks ago. From what most of the posts are about, I gather that most CFers are ectomorphs, or "skinnies." This is not the case with me. When I see people Rx'ing a gallon of milk and a caloric excess to build muscle I become overly ideal and kinda binge.

So my question in this: Is there a site more oriented to naturally heaver people while still close to CF or strength gain?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Cody Looney

Profile:
Re: Is there a better site?

It seems to me that you have "gathered" incorrectly. This site is swarmed with all body types as well as different ages, sexes, current fitness levels and fitness goals. Your genetics, to include your "body type," do have an influence on your physical appearance, performance, and rate of progress/regression. However, YOU ARE NOT BOUND BY YOUR GENETICS.

As far as the nutrition goes, I would reccommend you focus on your behavior modification and get more info on The Zone diet and how to make it work for you.

As far as the site goes, I would reccommend not "lurking." Get your knuckles in here and see how quickly your mind learns and your body changes.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Have to agree with the above poster... this site will work for all body types, although the challenges specific to each will be different (you may have trouble losing weight but can probably get strong as an ox, while I, a classic ectomorph, can kick the crap out of pullups, but 225 deads for time are harsh).

Drinking a gallon of milk a day is for the Starting Strength ONLY, which is specifically designed to add insane amounts of MASS, much of which will be muscle. While SS and CF complement each other and can be used in conjunction, CF itself would not mean that kind of consumption.

Caloric excess is required for MASS GAIN only... not for MUSCLE GAIN! If you CF your heart out while maintaining an equal calories in/out balance, you will certainly gain muscle, while simultaneously losing fat. Eventually, you may gain so much muscle that you need to eat more to maintain it (I certainly did) but that seems less likley with your bodytype.

Finally, take a good look at the comments section, where a lot of people post their weight. yes, lots of skinny's out there, and a few of them are star CF'ers, but there's a whole lot of military/police/fire/EMS types out there too. I would submit that the majority who go into those careers are of the bigger variety. And take a look at Greg A... he's probably 50 pounds heavier than me, but can still do 100 pullups in less than half the time I can.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

There are plenty of 200+ people here as also there are 130-. Also, the Crossfit program does not involve a gallon of milk a day or a caloric excess. That's SS or general weight gain. Do you want to gain weight?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

You need to keep reading and gain a better understanding.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Just curious Spencer, did you discover CrossFit through the Muscle and Fitness article?
Nothing like a broad stroke of the paint brush on such a large and growing community of fitness people. Its like going onto a bodybuilding message board and starting a thread calling everyone a jusicehead and asking for a site oriented to more natural people.

Personally I've been crossFitting for about 2 years now, I don't drink pasteriuzed milk and I weigh about 185-190 lbs, depending. Not heavy but any means, but certainly not skinny either.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Good post, Cody.

Spencer, I think you have your answer The very premise of CrossFit is that it's applicable, scalable and broad enough to be used by anyone of any age, gender, fitness or body type.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Jennifer Bland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
there's a whole lot of military/police/fire/EMS types out there too. I would submit that the majority who go into those careers are of the bigger variety.
Are you calling me fat?:stir: I just could not let this go by......

My partners are very physically fit people....I just had to smile!

Jenn
Old 04-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Greg Fischer

Profile:

Easy answer: No
Old 04-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #10
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Hi Spencer, when I started Crossfit I was a 15 couch potato @ 6'0", 205 lbs and 30% body fat. I'd put me in the heavier category.

1 year of Crossfit and the Zone and I'm not only Stronger, Fitter, Faster, but have dropped 25 lbs, and nearly halved my body fat percentage.