CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:
Buddy Lee's Jump Rope comparison...

Hi, I am currently considering to buy a Buddy Lee's Jump Rope. Two possible options are Aero Speed and Master Jump Rope. I am wondering if Aero is really that better choice (as advertised).

Thanks
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Buddy Lee's Jump Rope comparison...

You may want to pass... a number of people here have had quality problems with the Buddy Lee ropes.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Tate Rivera

Profile:

the basic search function found the link to the thread brandon was talking about http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...t=broken+buddy it is w/f/s. i just use the basic walmart leather and ballbearing rope. it does just fine.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Thanks for your quick response... appreciate that...
I am currently using the cheapest speed rope ($2) which is pretty fast and has very little drag... until I tried to do double-unders the way Speal does on his "Annie" video... the angle between rope and handle created with that kind of speed really slows down the rope, you can literally feel it, doesn't matter how much force you apply to the handles the rope refuses to go any faster.
BWT he uses master version on that video (I guess???)
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19

Last edited by Alexander Kornishev : 03-17-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Melissa Urban

Profile:

I have an unnatural love for my Speedquest rope.

I've had mine for over two years, but the ball bearings were starting to stick a bit so I thought I'd try the Buddy Lee Aero Speed. It's just way too light, and doesn't turn fast enough for me. (Well, it might, but I have to work a whole lot harder.) The Speedquest is heavier, but it turns so quickly and easily and if you take care of the ball bearings, it'll last for a long time.

The only negative - the cord means you have to be careful if you're barefoot. I've learned to curse in Thai for those times when I miss a jump in my kickboxing class.

WFS: http://www.speedquest.net/SJR.html?id=nsession&mv_pc=48
Old 03-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Ryan Stitt

Profile:

I like the looks of the handles on the speedquest. The regular handles on jump ropes tend to slide out of my hand as my grip is very relaxed...it helps rope speed IMO. The price of the rope is a good bit better than what my aero was too.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
Victor Putz

Profile:

I have the BL Ropemaster and it doesn't seem too bad so far, but I can't say I feel like it's been worth it (the real problem of course is just that I'm terrible at jumping). After giving the bearings some 3-in-one, it turns quickly and moves well, but not appreciably better than my cheapie from the local store. Keep in mind that I'm still just learning (but SLOWLY; about 3-4 weeks into this and still can't consistently make it past about 80 jumps), so my opinions on ropes are probably not to be trusted...
Old 03-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
I have an unnatural love for my Speedquest rope.

I've had mine for over two years, but the ball bearings were starting to stick a bit so I thought I'd try the Buddy Lee Aero Speed. It's just way too light, and doesn't turn fast enough for me. (Well, it might, but I have to work a whole lot harder.) The Speedquest is heavier, but it turns so quickly and easily and if you take care of the ball bearings, it'll last for a long time.

The only negative - the cord means you have to be careful if you're barefoot. I've learned to curse in Thai for those times when I miss a jump in my kickboxing class.

WFS: http://www.speedquest.net/SJR.html?id=nsession&mv_pc=48
Speedquest? Is that a Buddy Lee Rope or a rope from a different manufacturer? I'm about to just go pick something up from Wal-Mart. I was in the market for a Buddy Lee Rope and read the above mentioned thread the day I was gonna place my order. Im using a rubber corded rope with no swivel or bearings but at least it hasn't busted yet.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Nevermind, missed the link!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
David Stitz

Profile:

I've got the BL Aerospeed. Used it for 45 minutes straight today cus I was havin so much fun. I have yet to have an issue with it. I have stored it in the cold. I only use mine inside on hardwood or rubber courts though. I'm not sure of the atmosphere of those that had issues with the rope. I say "I" too much. One thing that I do everytime I'm gonna jump though is run the rope through a clenched fist to stretch out the kinks and warm it up a bit. Maybe this is the key, idk. Good luck with your search.