CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Literary Agents

It's a long shot, but does anybody know anybody in the mainstream publishing business, ideally an agent? I've done enough research to have put together what I think they will need.

The last time I mentioned this, lulu.com came up. I looked at it, but have decided I want a publicist and all the benefits that come from working with the publishing houses.

Any help would be appreciated. I have 3-4 books on the process, and am mainly aiming here at the remote chance of a warm referral.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Literary Agents

From what I understand, two guys I know (whose book was just #1 on a few bestseller lists) weren't looking to publish, but a former editor at a publisher read their book and said "dang...", he then mailed copies to I think 19 publishing houses, and they got 3 rejections.

(that means they got 16 acceptances, heh...)

Unfortunately I don't know who that former editor is, and I don't know if he works as an agent, but there may be a process or a person at a publishing house you could ask what the best process is.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:

That's an agent. Most of them are former editors. I have a book listing hundreds of them, but am hoping for a warm referral. It'll likely be a drawn out, difficult process, but who knows? If you know anybodys' name, if they have an interest in new stuff, please PM me. Thanks!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:

You could try the Writers Literary Agency: http://www.wlwritersagency.com/?gcli...FQ8YQgod63Ir-g (safe)
Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Thanks!! I'll check it out.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Also might try LinkedIn. I just searched on there, if I were you, I'd get on there, search my name, and also search Andy Petranek's name, he's got a few people who are connected to literary agents on there. Me myself, I see 99 people come up when I search "literary agents" in my connections alone. Unfortunately for you, they're all 3rd degree (which means if you link to me, they'd be 4th degree, and you couldn't see them).