CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Doug Holland

Profile:
Big Doug’s Fat To Fitness Log

Here is the thread that started my quest to become fit along with my first 4 CF workouts.

March 4th /2008/6:30 am eastern time.

Well, I did “Linda” for the first time. This is my 5th CF workout. I did not want to take a chance by lifting to heavy on low back with high reps. After all, I am not used to multiple exercises with high reps.

Dead lifts have always been - lift once and rest for minutes at a time.

However, I should have gone higher on bench. It was too easy. Maybe 275 would have been better. This was my second time doing cleans and at first 135 pounds felt light. That would change by round 3.

Here are some stats:

1) Finished Linda in 42 minutes
2) Felt light headed at third round to 6th round
3) Got second wind in 6th round
4) Form became sloppy in 6th round so lifting became mental (I wanted to give up at round 5).
5) Glad I stayed low in DL weight. My back was weakening by round 7.
6) DL are much harder without straps and is very humbling (that thumb hook is impossible).
7) Weighed in at 305 today
8) Noticed halitosis kicking in at 5th round (sign of ketosis). Need to up veggies.
9) A euphoric feeling came over me after 10th round
10) Other body builders stared at me like I was a nut job

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:
Deadlift: 225
Bench press: 225
Clean: 135

I beyond addicted to this new sport. Its as if I have never lifted weights before.

No more of this (pic)........................Ever!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigdpeckdeck.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1431  

Last edited by Doug Holland : 03-04-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:
Re: Big Doug’s Fat To Fitness Log

Good job Doug, I'll check on your progress. You're on the right track !

But Jesus, Linda was one of the first WODs where I really wanted to give up. But the satisfaction you get when you push thru it is just incredible
Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Doug Holland

Profile:

Richard,

I was happy I made it...but my erector muscles are crying right now!

And tomorrow is "filthy fifty?"

Yee-Haw!

Doug
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Good work Doug, I greatly enjoyed your other thread and watching your progress. I'm a 6'5'' 185 lb weakling who has no endurance to boot who just started crossfitting in earnest a couple weaks ago. So I'm feeling your pain, and loving it. I can hardly walk today my back is so sore!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Doug Holland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
Good work Doug, I greatly enjoyed your other thread and watching your progress. I'm a 6'5'' 185 lb weakling who has no endurance to boot who just started crossfitting in earnest a couple weaks ago. So I'm feeling your pain, and loving it. I can hardly walk today my back is so sore!
Good to know I am not alone Ryan

My low back was on fire from Linda (yesterdays workout) today. It took all I had to go workout.

So guess what I decided to do today for my 6th WOD? You guessed it...

50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

Man owe Man owe Man!

I was bound and determined to make it through this workout.

I took 5 minutes to warm up all the while crying inside like a little baby, “Should I do this?” After all my upper lats, forearms, quads, hamstrings still hurt from Linda.

Yet, all I could think about was this website where women kick men’s butt’s and men bust through the workout as if their life depended on it. Was I going to let this new form of training break me mentally? “Heck No!” I said.

So it was on baby…

Each exercise was agonizing by the 40 rep. Some stats:

1) For jump box we only had a 20-inch platform to do these but I did them.

2) With Knees to elbows I could only come up half way (my gut gets in the way).

3) Push press I did 65 pounds. I just had to have some plates. Goodness, 65 pounds was never so heavy. I had to stop twice.

4) Wall ball shots with 20-pound ball (which felt like 50 pounds by this time in the workout) almost did me in. It took every bit of mental toughness I had left in me to finish. My legs were already burning from the lunges.

5) I finally met my match with the Burpees. After my 20th rep I collapsed and could not get up. It was only after 2 minutes of rest that I was able to stand.

6) No way could I jump rope. I could hardly see straight. So I did 50 jumping jacks.

Total time: 56:32

Thank God tomorrow is a work day.

Last edited by Doug Holland : 03-05-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Tom Brose

Profile:

Keep up the great effort Doug! As addicting as the suffering can be (ya sicko), be careful about the cumulative effect. A lot of people who jump into CrossFit headfirst, without a ramp p or serious scaling find themselves crashing and burning out quickly. Be safe, monitor your body, and stay in it for the long haul.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Nice intensity Doug. I used too much weight for my deadlift in Linda and today and yesterday I feel like an old man. Whenever I drop something on the ground I cry and whimper thinking how much its going to hurt bending over to pick it up. To wash my hands in the bathroom i have to push my butt back into perfect deadlift position and squeeze like mad just to survive the ordeal. I'd planned on doing a half Angie last night with the fiance as her first crossfit workout and had no idea how I'd be able to do it. However I certainly wanted to get her to do it, crossfit is one hell of an aphrodesiac . I somehow struggled through but think I have to take today off to recuperate. I hate it but I want to work out 3 of the next 5 days, have to take Saturday off, and think todays the best day to break. Its funny, I can barely get out of a chair, yet im mad I won't be doin the filthy fifty (or in my case 25) tonight.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Doug Holland

Profile:

@ Tom

Thanks for the encouragement, I need it! And yes I will take tomorrow off and rest. My body has never hurt this bad.

Rest and recoup is my new motto. Funning thing is, I used to work out 12 hours in the gym each week and felt great all the time. Now I work out 5 days a week (less than 5 hours and feel like staying in bed).

This CF has me so bewildered and intrigued and stumped and humbled and......

Cant wait for Friday. I must like S&M because this new pain is addictive!

@ Ryan

I know what you mean. You cant get out of a chair or you squeal getting of the toilet as you give all your power to your hamstrings. Loved ones wonder why you put yourself through this as they contemplate that soon you will commit suicide.

Take Saturday off or miss a wod (filthy fifty) like that just to relax and heal? That is a mind job to the current CF athlete. Yet, we manage to be smart by resting so that we can concur another day.

As a side note; I just picked up a half a cow (Black Angus) to feed my family. My wife is right now cooking some of the ground organic meat.

Emmmmmmmm. It smells terrific.

Here is what I had last night (fish in coconut oil). I took a picture because it was so beautiful.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crappie51706-026yummy.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1437  

Last edited by Doug Holland : 03-05-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
Doug Holland

Profile:

After resting on Thursday in total pain and agony from doing Linda and the Filthy Fifty back to back, I decided to skip the daily wod and focus on what didn't hurt. My pecks and triceps.

I tried some crazy things to make it more CF like.

Things like:

1) Doing 2 - 100 pound dumbbells/incline bench press for high reps (21) while holding my feet up in the air - chest level. It was hard to keep my trunk balanced (engaged my abs) and my feet steady. So I would spread my legs about 3 feet apart.

2) I would run between dips and close grip bench. Close grip 225 for reps of 15 and dips of 10.

3) mixed in with all this was floor sweepers with 135 over head.

Good 35 minute workout. And I loved the pump.

Tomorrow will be Cindy.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Doug Holland

Profile:

Decided to get some before pictures up in order to see what my fat to fitness progress will be.

These pictures were taken today after my workout.

One back spread, front double bicep and one triceps stand.

Weighed in at 304 today!

D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-07-08-doug-web-5.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1447  Click image for larger version

Name:	3-07-08-doug-web-6.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1448  Click image for larger version

Name:	3-07-08-doug-web-3.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1449  

Last edited by Doug Holland : 03-07-2008 at 10:53 AM.