CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Theodore James Albert

Profile:
Gout Anyone

G'Day I am having difficulty finishing my WODs due to pain from gout in my toes. I can complete upper body portions but runs,thrusters and such can sometimes bring me to my knees. I have been prescribed allopurinol and I am not much in to pills so I was wondering if anyone has any natural remedies/cures/advise.

Thanks in advance
Theo
Old 01-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Re: Gout Anyone

Cheap advice: Go Paleo.

Want to spend some money as to the why? See Dr. Cordain's gout article WFS.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Dave Matteson

Profile:

By no means is this a cure-all, nor will it prevent all attacks, but limiting the amount of foods high in purines (a component of many foods that when metabolized by your body, turns into uric acid, the chemical that causes gout) that you eat may help. Unfortunately, there is a strong relationship between protein and purines. Shellfish are usually the worst offenders, but every person is different.

Some common foods high in purines (Google for more) include:
anchovies, bacon, turkey, trout, salmon, scallops, shrimp, mussels, organ meats (esp liver and sweatbreads)

Also, there is a pretty strong link between gout and obesity, and weight loss often leads to a decrease in gout attack frequency. I'm not sure how much of your 250lb is muscle, but if it's less than you'd like, losing some weight could help. Crossfit and a good diet will take care of that nicely.

I have not read the above article, so I can offer no comments on it.

Last edited by Dave Matteson : 01-15-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Theo, are you sure it is gout? Most cases I see of gout are acute attacks of such severity that persons cannot even tolerate having the sheets touch the foot. Usually they cannot get a shoe on. These acute attacks are intermittent and will subside.

Dave's diet advice is spot on.

If it is gout, maybe it is chronic, and allopurinol would be standard therapy. Allopurinol can precipitate attacks of gout in the first few weeks of treatment, so in most cases, another agent is also used at the beginning to control these flares.

Off topic, sorry...first post here, though been doing Crossfit for some time...I guess I am obliged to insert the "General Info, not medical advice" disclaimer......what's up with that?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Robert,
It's a CYA thing for us medical practitioners.

High-purine foods have been a part of the human diet for a long time, some would say "forever". It's the grains/dairy/sugar that are the problem. This issue is covered well in Cordain's article linked above. Then again, for free, you can always go low-fruit strict Paleo and see what happens in the Black Box.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Sakura Barrientos

Profile:

my mother-in-law has gout along with diabetes among other things. i've been trying to get her to eat better and start walking but it's hard to get her to change her ways. her gout gets so bad (because she eats so bad) that the sheets touching her feet is unbarable.

i'm trying to get her to do a little zoning but for her it's "not enough food." she's filipino so white rice, seafood and fatty meats are a regular part of her diet. any suggestions on trying to help her out? you'd think severe gout attacks would be enough but it just simply isn't.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
Dave Matteson

Profile:

If she's not willing to change her diet (most people generally aren't), and wants to get rid of the pain, she'll probably want to see her Doc to start allopurinol +/- colchicine. Those drugs are highly effective and the side effect profile is minimal if taken properly.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #8
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Also of note, serum uric acid rises quite substatially after strenuous exercise, thus making stranuous exercise a trigger event for a acute gout flare-up.
http://sambuca.umdl.umich.edu:8080/b.../1/0000243.pdf
link is safe

I'm in the middle of one right now(most likely, odd presentation, but given my history, better to treat it as gout than let it get worse). Currently on Colchicine, with limited results so far(its still early). Luckily my GI system is fairly immune to colchicine's notorious effects.

Also, of note, I have been 95% paleo compliant for the last two months or so. No grain, no sugar, very low carb(ketosis is a also a potential trigger). My only dairy has been a little cheddar with my eggs and some blue cheese on my huge salads. Most protein comes from grassfed beef, eggs, salmon. I'm down >25# and was feeling great.

Also, most of the recent reseach shows a low purine diet to be fairly pointless as far as lowering the serum uric acid, in addition to be terrible for you in many ways.

My rheumatologist didn't want me to start on allopurinol, nor did I want to(at the time of last flare, 2004 or 5?).

I need to get that cordain article. Also, once this flare passes, I need to get some lab work done to see where I stand.