CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Re: The Crossfit cop-out?

I never ran anythig over 800 meters and then ran a 5k in 21:40 which is 4 minutes faster than when I was running all the time.

You want to run more - run. What's the problem? Rest days -> active recovery -> put on the sneakers and run.

This is a great program freely available to everybody, respect it and be thankful.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post

My guess is that if you own a motorcycle, you better be able to Deadlift/Squat you bike AND run 3 miles. Better not sub that row today.
Actually - our affiliate does not follow the main page WODs. But I do not sub rowing for running (or vice-versa) anyway.

This year was my running year - and I hate running. 7 races: 4 half marathons, two 10ks and one 5k, plus a lot of long slow runs in between!

I need to learn how to run "short" distances. My wife got us into running last year when we trained for our first half marathon. The problem was that my "training" for that instilled in me a sense of self-preservation and I consequently took a pace of about 10:00-10:30/mile so that I knew I could finish the whole 13.1 without dying or injuring myself (I was about 30 lbs heavier then, than I am now). I know I can run faster than that for shorter distances because when I did Murph a couple months ago, I was somewhat pacing myself and my first mile that day was done in about 7:30.

I guess it is just a matter of practice, right?

Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #13
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Tristan and Tom: sometimes I forget that the weather in the Southeastern United States isn't universal, and I can understand not wanting to run in the snow and ice or on a Treadmill. If you read the mainpage comments you will see a lot of people subbing the row even during the warm or moderate months, and I do not understand why.

I dabbled in running before Crossfit, but I did not enter my first race until after I started CF.

Anthony: That was constructive... This rant isn't sudden; it's the result of 18 months of seeing some Crossfitters avoiding "long" runs.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #14
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:

Aaron - I AGREE WITH YOUR POST 100%!!!!!

CF'ers, please don't take this the wrong way, because I am seriously addicted to CrossFit. But the lack of extended running bothers me.

To me being able to run 2, 3, 4 miles is a simple benchmark to fitness. Look at the US Army physical fitness test - a 2 miler!

The key thing I think running brings us is the opportunity to keep our heart rate up and maintain it at a contest level for an extended period. Doesn't this help overall endurance?

One last thing - regarding the Army and running - I'll never foget Spyder Chick saying she never had to run 2 miles in Iraq, but she sure as sugar had to haul backside for 200 yards!

So who know!!!!

Happy Holidays everyone.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
mike obrien

Profile:

last year, when all i did was daily deadlifts and hill sprints once a week, i ran in a 5k. i jogged the flats, walked up the hills and sprinted down the hills, and this was forty pounds overweight. i did it in 30 minutes which earned me 2nd in my age group 50-54 (it might be important to note that there were only two of us, though). i've also dug up two huge parts of my lawn, using a pick and a shovel. my best deadlift is 305 (which is all the weight i have), so the task was only annoying instead of 'back breaking'. at 51, i've never had to run three miles, ever (in fact the only time i've ever had to run was when i got attacked in a bad place in boston). i have had to lift lots of things (couches, desks, bags of dirt, one fat guy, etc.). the smaller the percentage the weight of these various things are of my max deadlift, the less threat they pose to the health of my back. while my 5k sucked, i still did it (and i'm pretty lazy).

Old 12-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #16
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:

Anthony - come on, be nice.

Leonid - that's fast!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #17
Andy Shirley

Profile:

The lack of lots of heavy lifting bothers me. So I lift more often. If you want to run more, then run more. Many people do.

I hate running, I like lifting. I also like rowing.

Brad,
"The key thing I think running brings us is the opportunity to keep our heart rate up and maintain it at a contest level for an extended period. Doesn't this help overall endurance?"

And how does any steady state activity not do the same thing(rowing, swimming, elliptical, etc)?

I've had good carryover from non-running fitness work onto the field(rugby, lots of running) without the added impact on knees and ankles from pounding the pavement.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #18
Nick Cruz

Profile:

Not that my wife does CF with me but I would rather her sub a 5k row in the safety of our garage than run around town (at least our town) at night by herself. She likes to wear her ipod on nearly full blast and I know that that is just an attack waiting to happen. Even at the college tracks. Call me paranoid but there are too many whack jobs out there. She would RATHER run, but sometimes it is just unpractical or unsafe.

Personally, I HATE running. I only slightly enjoy trail running. Without hardly any run training (CF WOD only) and lots of row subbing I have been able to compete in a 5k, 10k mudrun, and 3 mile CF games hell run. My mile is a documented, respectable 7:15 and I know that I can run at least a 7 minute if not sub 7's. 2 years ago I could hardly make it around a track ONCE let alone for an entire mile! All that to say that unless running is a huge part of your life I dont see that adding MORE long distance runs to the WOD will benefit many people very much.

Besides, like was posted earlier, if you want to run more then do it! One of the girls I train with runs a 3-5 miler as a warm up to the CF WOD! But she loves running.

There will always be some excercise that some percentage of the people would like to see more of. Some people would like to see more gymnastics movements for X, Y, and Z reasons. Some want to see more 1 RM days for A, B, and C reasons.

If you want more of something else then do it and see what happens.

Black Box defined.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #19
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:

Hi Andy -

Minor typo in my post - I meant "constant" instead of "contest".

Any way, for me personally, when I'm doing the normal workouts, it tends to be intervals for me. Peak and then valley. Near heart attack, then recover.

I just like getting into a nice steady 65% max heart rate groove for an extended time. I tend to do a 3 mile hilly trail on rest days. And that works for me.

Maybe the question is related to one of the 10 components of fitness - ENDURANCE. What's the best way to build endurance? Do you have to do endurance to build endurance?

ps - swimming is soooooooo boring!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #20
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I have knee and back issues that make running a very limited activity for me. I do believe I need to be able to sprint in case I need a quick getaway. (saved my butt years ago) I love that rowing is a substitute, provided that it is done with proper form. (thanks to Susie Rosenberg, my rowing teacher)
Real life will have us moving furniture, luggage, sacks of garden materials, and lifting up our loved ones if necessary.
As for the gymnastics: Weightlifting gives great strength, and muscle hypertrophy, which are an important base to have in life. Pull-ups, Dips, and even muscle-ups can provide mobility when one has a lower body injury.
The metcons have built my stamina, and cardio ability far beyond where running or rowing could.
As for fitness for life: If you have a passion for running. It's important that you do it. There is something magical that happens for runners that I understand is sacred to them. I love the metcons that make me nauseous.
I can't wait to see what Steven Row posts about this.

Closed Thread