CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Jay Cohen

Profile:
In Search of a Good Poop (or Sh*t Happens)

Mark has posted an interesting article at his Daily Apple Blog.
Site is work/family/safe.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/poop-health/
Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: In Search of a Good Poop (or Sh*t Happens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Mark has posted an interesting article at his Daily Apple Blog.
Site is work/family/safe.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/poop-health/
So you liked it huh? LOL (your words)!
Sorry gotta run so cutting this post short
Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Cal Jones

Profile:

I find nothing clears out a bad bout of constipation than the stress of having my PC go wrong. I wish that I was joking but...I'm that wedded to my computer, I'm absolutely deadly serious.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Your stool should float or at least appear reasonably light; you do not want to be anchoring your toilet to the ground with the weight of your internal offerings
Fat floats. Meat sinks. Nuts and seeds sink. Even most veggies sink. IMHO, the floating stool idea is not a good goal.

More on stools that float:
WFS http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003128.htm
Old 12-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

I will not lie, I get through a lot of good books via the throne.

In other news, I found this fascinating website Don't Eat Poop. And actually it IS work and family safe - deals with hygiene and washing your hands after you are done examining.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Ben Chapman

Profile:

The floating has more to do probably with the density of the matter itself...which is also why one might be constipated...kinda self-critiquing if you ask me.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Quote:
Your stool should float or at least appear reasonably light; you do not want to be anchoring your toilet to the ground with the weight of your internal offerings.
While I will agree that one's stool should be reasonably light, I would argue against the benefits of a floating stool. As Garrett mentioned, fat floats. If you have greasy, floating stool, it typically means one of two things. Either you're eating way too much fat (think like >60% calories as a rough estimate) or you are having fat malabsorption (bowel infection, bowel hypermotility, problem with pancreas, etc.).

Quote:
Heavy poop is not a healthy thing; it means your body is not absorbing and using nutrients from your food optimally.
Partially true, but floating stool means the same thing: malabsorption. Too much air in the stool can also cause it to float. If you aren't digesting and absorbing nutrients properly in your bowel (or you have a bacterial overgrowth), the bacteria in there get their hands on it. One of the biproducts of bacterial digestion of foods (especially carbs) is air production. Thus, lots of microscopic air gets incorporated into your stools and they float. Think about lactose intolerant people. They can't digest lactose sugar, so the bacteria get their turn at it, thus causing the affected person to have gas, cramping, and loose (and floating) stools.

Read through the article Garrett linked, it's good stuff. Its content is similar to what I wrote.

Last edited by Dave Matteson : 12-14-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:

I get a kick out of the "float-y-ness" of stools being used as a diagnostic tool.

Um, toilets are man-made contrived apparati, mainly there for hygenic/sanitation purposes. Who in the world ever decided that pooping in water (which would be a bad idea anywhere other than into a toilet & sewer system) is a way of determining healthiness of the bowels?

Funny thing, from what I've experienced, it's usually vegans who talk about the buoyancy of stools. With that base misunderstanding of human nutritional needs, I'd only expect other things to be skewed as well.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Who in the world ever decided that pooping in water...is a way of determining healthiness of the bowels?
I'm reminded of the oft-heard phrase "medicine is both an ART and a science" and can't help but laugh.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
Barry Cooper

Profile:

When Eugene Allen went to Bosnia or wherever it was, we discussed the toilets in use in a lot of Central Europe. It lands on what amounts to a platform, then the water, when you flush, washes it over the edge and on down to poopland. The intent is to examine the stool, and the logic is similar to what Mark mentioned. I've always read you want partial floaters, that don't sink like rocks, and that don't float too easily.

It actually does tell you something about the state of your digestion, and that has always historically been something people saw as related intrinsically to your health, as it indicates your ability to absorb and use nutrients. Most of the things we really need to know about health, were known 100 years ago, in my view.