CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-09-2004, 06:58 AM   #1
Ross Hunt

Profile:
What methods do CrossFitters use to train weak points without overtraining?

I've been performing the WOD for just under two months. Based on my performance in the WODs, my weakest points seem to be max strength and strength-to-bodyweight ratio. The latter is slightly more of a problem than the former, probably because I'm just too darn light for my height. Since starting CrossFit, my aerobic/anaerobic conditioning has gone through the roof, but is not clear to me how much ground I have gained in these areas that are of most concern to me.

I have practiced pull-ups and squat singles to try to correct these weak points, but because the WOD is deliberately unpredictable, my extra practice has invariably hurt my performance in the WOD and has several times come close to driving me into overtraining.

Can anyone suggest in exercises, schedules, or other tricks that might help me work on these weak points in a way that would have a minimal impact on the WOD?
Any advice, even advice of the 'wait until you can do the WOD well to add extra exercise' variety, would be most welcome.

Ross Hunt
Old 07-09-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ross-

Your work capacity will go up with time as will the performance areas you mentioned. I did not start doing any adjunctive work for almost a year after starting the WOD. Ease into things!

Just curious, how is your sleep and nutrition?
Robb
Old 07-10-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Robb-

"A year" really puts things in perspective. If you could wait that long, then I can certainly restrict my extracurricular activities to occasional, low-key practice of strength and gymnastics movements - pistols, 1-arm-push-ups, tumbling, easy ring movements - until I can really tear through the WOD as prescribed.

My sleep is pretty darn good - I keep light out of my bedroom pretty well and wake up pretty early every morning without an alarm. Thinking about training messes up my sleep more than lack of sleep messes up my training.
My diet is so-so; about four meals a day consisting mostly of protein and monounsaturated fat, and one post-workout insulin spike of high BV-protein and sugar. The only problem with the diet as it stands is that it's extremely acidic; the main source of protein is egg whites, and the main source of monounsaturated fat is peanuts. I'm going to see if replacing a little of the fat with vegetables and the peanuts with avocados and walnuts improves performance.

Ross Hunt
Old 07-10-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ross-

Sounds pretty good! Set small goals and this will also helo to prevent overdoing things.

If yu can ratchet up to 5 small meals and get a bit more veggies(good catch on the acid/base ballance) I think that will be helpfull as well.

Let us know how thigns are going
Robb