CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
Shawn Hultquist

Profile:
Isopure protein drinks???

Just curious as to what you guys and gals opinions are about the Isopure protein powder. Is it worth a darn or not?

Shawn
Old 11-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Isopure protein drinks???

The chocolate tastes amazing as far as powder goes. Bit expensive in my opinion because you can get isolate for a lot cheaper, you just have to do some digging around. Isopure has tons of vitamins added to it, maybe that is part of why it is more expensive.

As far as the drinks go (see-through colored ones), they taste like junk in my opinion, and since I can't have Blue #1 (food coloring) I've only tasted one kind and it was gross.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I'm with George. The powders taste very good in my opinion, and the drinks that are already made up that you can get at a place like GNC taste like crap. The thought of a protein drink sitting in a liquid state for who knows how long before it's consumed doesn't seem that great to me either.

In terms of the actual type of protein, isolate's the best choice as you can get with whey. Concentrate can cause considerable discomfort as far as your insides go. Don't worry about all the vitams and such added to isopure, a clean diet with lots of fruits/veggies should take care of that for you.

I personally use optimum nutrition protein when I make a shake/smoothie. It's relatively cheap, tastes alright, and is all isolate.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
Shawn Hultquist

Profile:

thanks guys I use the isopure banana pinapple orange flavor powder mix and it taste pretty bad and causes some discomfort that my wife doesnt like. So your saying that the isolate is better for you and less expensive.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
David Wallach

Profile:

the zero carb version is a thing of great beauty in powdered form, the RTDs give me heartburn that would etch glass. Why? I really dont care, after that feeling a few times, that was the last 'field' test that product needed.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Shawn, isolates are easier to digest, but they tend to be more expensive.

I've heard in the past that soy proteins can cause an increased amount of estrogen in men, but I don't have a lot of information to support it. Concentrates are difficult to deal with.

I was just pointing out that there are reasonably priced products out there. PM me and I'll send you a few links for cheap options on high quality whey proteins.