CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Shane Upchurch

Profile:
Getting Started

I want to get started training others using CF at my local gym. IF the gym owner is okay with this what would you all recommend the flyer say so as to make it clear that this is not a laid back workout but a very rigorous activity that requires 100% focus and attention. Also, how does insurance work in a situation like this where I would be training people in someone else's gym? Do you even need insurance if you are not charging people?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Getting Started

Are you certified? Are you an affiliate?

Do you have another certification other then CF?

Sorry I have to ask, as you didn't give any information.

I highly doubt a gym is going to let you train people if you aren't qualified to do it. The liability involved would be huge. You'd have to fall under their insurance as well as carry your own. To train "CrossFit" and use the CrossFit name you'd need to be affiliated.

I guess what I'm saying is you need to supply a lot more information for someone smarter then me to give you a good response.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Sorry. No not affiliated, and waiting on a closer certification. I have no certifications whatsoever. Others are always saying that the best way to get started is to train others whether it be friends, family, or whoever, so that was the approach I was thinking of taking. I guess all these people are cert. or are training in their own homes though.
I am completely jumping off my career path to start a new one and from past post this was the most recommended way to get started. I know cert. is probably 1st thing that should be done but I simply cannot until another one comes around that is closer. Do you have a better suggestion as to how to go about getting started....eventually I do want to be affiliated and own my gym but that will be some time.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
Norm Rager

Profile:

Hi Shane,

You may already be doing this at the gym, but my recommendation would be to find a workout buddy or two and all train together. If you have the desire to coach you could take the 'lead' in the study and application of CF by coaching the others what you have learned. When people ask what you're doing, explain it to them - and they WILL ask. As you and your group make obvious progress there will be no need for flyers.

Don't worry too much about the perceived need to advertise until you have decided to make the change and get your certs/affil and insurance. By then you should have a following.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Okay. I just recently got my girlfriend involved and she loves it. I guess I'll see if I can get some friends involved and just see what happens from there. Thanks