CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-09-2003, 11:12 AM   #1
Nathan Elliott

Profile:  
I am getting involved in 2 films in the very near future (acting and some fight choreography) and need to change my physical appearance some. I need to develop more of a V shaping and create a larger difference between my upper body and my waistline and hips. However, I really don't like bodybuilding and don't want to abondon true strength and conditioning techniques. Does anyone have any ideas?
My body fat will obviously need to be reduced (it is around 10% right now) but I am not sure if that will be quite enough. I was thinking that adding some extra handstand and planche practice and exercises on top of the WOD might add some fuctional hypertrophy.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:17 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Chinups!!!!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:23 AM   #3
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:
I recommend high-rep (or low reps in many sets w/brief rests) dumbbell or kettlebell snatches. They will help you acheive both goals-muscular shoulders and lower bodyfat.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:20 PM   #4
Janet Fisher

Profile:

Overhead squats too.
Also, I second chinups (and dips). When you do them, really try to feel the muscles that move the scapula do a lot of the work.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:23 AM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:
One thing to keep in mind is that the V-Shape relies on minimal oblique development. Cleans and other full-body lifts work those muscles. The old-timers had torsos like tubes, not V's. Much of functional training will work those muscles, and is therefore not appropriate for bodybuilding, in my opinion.

The bottom line here is you are looking for a "look". In movies, actual strength is secondary to perceived strength. Bruce Lee wasn't very strong at all. If you want to inflate the size of your muscles, I think pumping is the best technique. Having said that, there is no reason you can't combine true strength with pumping. You do a 5x5 heavy, and then pumping for however many sets make you happy. I think John McCallum's Keys to Progress is good.

This program is not designed with aesthetics in mind. It can have that effect, but that is not the primary consideration.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:40 PM   #6
Nathan Elliott

Profile:  
Thanks for the comments thus far everyone.

Barry-
I like the idea of combining the 5x5 system with pumping exercises. However, I am not ready to give in to the pumping quite yet. Perhaps I am unrealistic in wanting to "have my cake and eat it too."

Another idea I have is to try to do a very low volume and repetition lower body workout once a week while restricting my calories, in hopes that I might just lose some hip musculature without losing strength. Perhaps working up to a 3 rep max for the day in the clean and squat for instance and then quiting might work. Other than that I would probably focus a lot on gymnastics, as it is a great way to develop the upper body. Think it might work?
Old 09-12-2003, 11:08 AM   #7
Daniel Ramos

Profile:
I have to disagree here with Barry. At 5"6' 165 lbs, Body fat slightly under ten percent a confortable size 29 waist. I have quite a V-taper. Im one of those guys whose muscles disapeare the minute the put a shirt on thoug :lol:. 50 percent of my workouts consits of cleans, snatches , deadlifts and diferent kinds of squats. The rest is basic gimnastics stuff and fight conditioning. I can deadlift 400 pounds and squat clean 250 witn no mayor fuss.

My point is that not everybody has to give up waist strenth to have a small waist. Maybe it's a matter of genetics??? I've read in more than one place also (but dont know if its true) that the biggest oblique muscle in the world would not exede one inch in thinckness. So strenthening this muscle would not really add much to your waiste side.

PS I also do a lot of one arm over head stuff.

Daniel
Old 09-12-2003, 06:23 PM   #8
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Nathan,

I think my advice is good--but I could be wrong. I really don't know much about bodybuilding, and should say as much. In all likelihood, neither do most of the people on this website, because that is not our primary focus.

What I would do, if I were you, is get advice from people, bodybuilders, who spend a lot of their time thinking about how to get more cut, and how to develop a better V. I personally don't care for bodybuilding, but there are people out there who bodybuild, and don't use drugs, and who really are interested in health and strength. One website is

http://www.naturalstrength.com/

I would post your question there.
It is possible that you could get what you want doing only CrossFit and a few supplemental exercises. That would be cool. John Grimek was an excellent Olympic Lifter (and hand balancer). He also, by common concensus, had about as good a genes as you can get. My point is that you want to focus on the shortest approach that is most likely to yield the results you want. You decide exactly what you want, and you go get it.

With CrossFit, you will get excellent overall fitness, which includes a stronger heart, and stronger muscles. But it may or may not give you the look you want.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:19 PM   #9
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Actually, this is a great place to come for advice for ALL aspects in regards to fitness. Coach has been around for awhile and has learned alot.

Here is a quote from Coach:

"Here is a hierarchy of muscle mass by regimen - more to less musculature.

1. Bodybuilding on steroids
2. CrossFitting on streoids
3. CrossFitting without steroids
4. Bodybuilding without steroids"

I have intereacted with Lauren and Coach alot prior to switching to Crossfit from a more "traditional" routine.

I must say, the physical appearance improvements that I have seen from Crossfit, BY FAR, has been better than any bobybuilding routine that I have been on.

I hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 09-15-2003, 03:44 PM   #10
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Nathan, I have to agree with Jeff. My physical appearance has improved dramatically since starting Crossfit - thicker/wider back and arms and my legs aren't so fat. Pretty amazing after nearly 20 years of hard, consistent weight training/bodybuilding.