CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Jay Nel

Profile:
Running frequency & Duration with CF

I've been using CF for about a month now and think the workouts are great. I put them out there to my Tac Team and many have said that CF provides them with a killer workout everytime.

I have somewhat of a running background and I'm looking for advice on how to maintain and balance about 15 miles per week of running while continuing to do the 3/1 2/1 CF. Also, is anyone mixing in swims as well?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
Re: Running frequency & Duration with CF

i run about 25 miles a week and still crossfit. however, my weeks look pretty much the same. i run t/th/su. i metcon 1-2x/wk and me 1-2x week. i also throw in a few hours of cycling and krav maga. i tailor crossfit to meet my training schedule while keeping the integrity of the cf philosohy(which is to vary the program as much as possible while keeping muscle balance in mind.)
Old 09-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Jay Nel

Profile:

What are some of the Met Con workouts you are doing? Also, what is your mileage breakdown for T, Tr, Su and do you do CF on any of your running days. Sorry for the questions, just looking for ideas on how to balance the two.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Alex Europa

Profile:

I've been doing CrossFit for about 5 months now and have made amazing gains in almost all areas of fitness. My only real concern I had was maintaining the propers endurance to race upwards to 10K - 10 miles as well as triathlons (only up to Olympic distance). IN MY OPINION, this is another important aspect of fitness. Granted, training for longer distance does promote muscle loss, but TO ME it's a trade off I'm willing to make - and Crossfit provides a great balance to really avoid it. I've managed to still put on muscle and get SIGNIFICANTLY stronger mixing 8-10 hours/week of endurance training with the standard WOD's.
To me, the most important thing about the endurance training is to mix it up. LSD definately has it's place, but generally, every endurance workout should have a purpose. For example, say I run a 10-mile distance run, I will do something like 2 miles warmup, 2 miles at 1/2 marathon pace, 2 miles recovery/steady, 2 miles at 1/2 marathon pace, 2 miles recovery/steady. There are also other running workouts (4-8 miles total distance) that are important to endurance development (ie: Tempo, fartlek, etc...) that should be done regularly. The only workouts I don't typically do are intervals, because of the 400s/800s we do for the WODs. If we haven't done any of them in awhile, I'll generally sub an interval workout in place of a tempo run.

Anyways, I workout 2x per day: in the morning I do endurance training (swim/bike/run), then after work I do the WOD. I follow the WOD 3/1 and on the 1st rest day I double up the endurance (run or bike in the morning and swim in the evening). On the 2nd off day (ie: day #8), I take a full rest day.

I don't get enough sleep in this schedule, but my work days are 13-15 hours - 4on/2off. But for anyone that works a somewhat normal job, this is a fairly easy schedule to accomplish. And the WODs really do a good job of keeping me motivated and fresh (mentally NOT physically).

Doing 15 mpw with CrossFit is easy enough, I would do 4 runs (6-miler and 3 3-milers). But in keeping the the broad fitness approach of CrossFit, you may want to consider mixing up your endurance training to more of a triathlon type approach and figuring your weekly volume in hours. Either way...good luck and remember that fitness is an experiment of one - find what works for YOU.

- Alex
Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Jay Nel

Profile:

Great post Alex! I am coming off of a couple years of tri's (3 1/2 irons and multiple others), where strength wasn't my concern. I'm having a baby in Feb. and I know my Tri time will be limited in the beginning so I'm trying to keep my running up while still doing some other exercises. However, I plan on attempting IMLP in '09 and will need to keep my running up as it is the toughest for me to get back into. I like your approach and thanks for your input.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Connie Morreale

Profile:

i run 6/6/8 and on metcon days 1-1.5 mile warm-up and another 1-1.5 cool down. i do a fgb or annie or filthy 50 style metcon or i'll get a metcon off the wod thread titled "new cfpc workouts". my bike rides are 25 miles on "long days" 10 miles on shorter rides. i supplement alot and i dont feel worn down and i do well on my times with metcons. my lifts are coming along alot slower, but i have strength enough to get me through the stuff i love so i'm not complaining.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Mike Deavers

Profile:

Hello everyone. Similar situation here, Jay. LEO balancing work, CF, and marathon training. Turned on many in my department to CF and am introducing some KB work now too. It's a vast departure from the 'heavy, heavy, heavy, and more heavy' mentality and a stretch for some. I've found myself doing the WOD while at work (duty time ) and doing my running on my own time.