CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-26-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Josh Bridges

Profile:
Just wondering when it is going to start. I've been watching UFC for about a year now and just wondering if they are going to start a women's league or if there is one already.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Hook n' Shoot has done some all women's shows in the Mid-West with a lot of success and they're DVDs sell quite well, according to the promoter. SmackGirl has been going on for a while in Japan, too. Some of the smaller level shows here in the States will periodically put a women's fight or two on a card, but I think for the most part people aren't really interested in watching women fight.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Ellen Stenard

Profile:
I don't know if I'd say it's due to a lack of interest in the part of spectators (though I'm sure that's part of it) so much as a lack of available skilled fighters. The pool of talent for each weight class is pretty small still. I'd guestimate the M/F ratio at my school to be around 50/1. I have hope though when I see how many little girls are training in BJJ these days.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Anthony Cecil

Profile:

There is a Japanese promotion called "Smack Girl" which has some good competitors. A fair proportion of their matches are more at an amateur level, though. Shooto has a ladies division (G-Shooto) and DEEP runs the occasional women's match. The Hook n'Shoot Revolution DVDs are good. For pure grappling, ADCC just started a women's division, which had some great matches.

The men/women ratio is a big issue, as Ellen said above.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Josh Bridges

Profile:
Good to know. I would like to see some girls doing it.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Most guys I know, fighters and guys who train in casually included, are not interested in seeing girls punch each other. A lot of guys can handle girls grappling, but it's a whole other thing when you add striking in. I've heard promoters say things like, they'd only consider having a women's match if there were no knees and no elbows, cause they don't want to see a girl bleed. Or they simply don't respect that women can be skilled or entertaining to watch.

You add that on top of what you guys mentioned, lack of depth of talent pool, and it's an uphill battle for women's MMA.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Ellen Stenard

Profile:
I've heard similar comments and read some pretty brutal opinions on the subject on MMA forums. How sad.
Luckily you don't need an audience to train. :-)
Old 06-28-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Amanda Buckner

Profile:
It is no longer true that there are not enough skilled women fighting to make good matchups for a show like the UFC. A few years ago this was the case but now there are a number of women in the 135lb weight class that belong at that level. Maybe not enough for a whole division but definitly enough for single fights. There are obviously a number of men out there who are going to say things like they don't want to see women punch each other. But sadly enough there are still plenty of men who still think a woman belongs only in the home. It's been my experience that most of the men that are really against women fighting are either insecure, ignorant, have never seen a high-level womens fight, or are just sexist and nothing you can do could change their opinion. I feel fortunate that most of the people I've encountered in the sport have been nothing but supportive. I also feel fortunate that I train at a school where I don't ever hear people say things like "I wouldn't want to see women fight". I would imagine if I was a woman even entertaining the idea of trying the sport out that this would be very discouraging. I'm against seeing unskilled fighters in the UFC or any organization for that matter. But women no longer fall into this catagory and hopefuly the bigger events will start to see that sometime soon.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
It's been my experience that most of the men that are really against women fighting are either insecure, ignorant, have never seen a high-level womens fight, or are just sexist and nothing you can do could change their opinion.

The reality is that people are not interested in watching women engage in conatact sport. Doesn't matter if it is football, ice hockey, boxing, or mma. There are plenty of women who play ice hockey well but good luck finding anyone to watch a game. Bottom line is that this is all provided for entertainment and people are not entertained by women hitting each other in any medium.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:
For once, I totally agree with Charlie. Are there pigs flying around outside?

Men doing violent things to each other is bad enough (it makes good entertainment for many). Must we go further?

I'm not against women beating the heck out of each other, maybe even making some dough off of it. I just personally don't want to watch it. I judge most men (and the great majority of women) don't want to watch it. No audience, no $$, no professional sport. Watching violence committed against women (even by women who "ask" for it in the ring/cage) leaves me with a sick stomach.

The WNBA can be held up as an example of the public's desire to see women compete in physical-contact sports.
http://www.wnba.com/media/monarchs/2...ble-digits.pdf
"After peaking in the 1998 season with an average of 10,864 per game,
the league drew an all-time low average of 8,174 in the 2005 season."

Don't think I'm against women's sports, I attend every single home UA GymCats meet! Best $5 entertainment around, a bargain at twice the price.