CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
My sons school was doing the "TV-Turnoff week" last week (brought to the kids by my wife the librarian). As part of this event my wife procurred many discounts for the kids to use during the week. One of those discounts was for Rock City Indoor Climbing in Anaheim. We took our two kids (4 & 6) and two of our friends. Both of my kids did pretty well and they are looking forward to going back. It was my first time climbing and I of course used the ropes and a belay for the first few climbs. I got intrigued watching some of the regulars on the walls that did not have ropes on them and it looked like a ton of fun. That and the huge pillows that you could drop on to told me that there was nothing to be afraid of. So up I went again and again. I was even able to incorporate a little Muscle-up action into some of the hold-to-hold jumps (is there a proper term for this?). I was very impressed with myself when I went from hang to launch to hang (Thank you Crossfit!) Then even had some tunnel system built into the walls. This was the place that my kids wanted to be the whole time so I propbably ended up in that tunnel at least 6 times that day (good thing Im not claustrophobic). So, now my finger tips are raw and Im looking forward to going again! The regulars were super cool and offered much advice on how to properly use the various holds and explained the routes that were laid out on the walls. I can say without a doubt that crossfitting helped me to enjoy this sport more than I could have ever been able to without it!

I think that I will end up getting an annual pass and working climbing days into my WOD cycle!

By the way, where do I go from here? Do I keep at it at the indoor? How do you know if you are ready for outdoor rocks? I know that I need new shoes, but is there anything else that is really needed? (I already have chalk).

Thanks,

Nick
Old 04-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
"ready for outdoor" simply is a question of do you know what you're doing well enough to set up equipment properly. Setting up equipment wrong can be fatal. In an indoor gym if you're top roping it's all set for you and darned safe. Just know what you're doing and be paranoid about the eq set up and yeah, you're ready for outdoor. How difficult a pitch you can climb is irrelevant really.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Jeff Kolehmainen

Profile:
If the freedom of movement in bouldering is the thing that you are really into, then you are ready to get outside now. Having a decent crashpad and a good spotter is always a good idea. And keeping in mind the adage of "Only climb (boulder) as high as you are willing to fall" is not a bad idea. Get after it. The best way to train for climbing is to get out and climb!!

If you are talking about roping up, then take some classes, go out with some regulars, and immerse yourself in it.

And remember, Fear keeps you honest... and safe

Jeff Kolehmainen
Old 04-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Yeah, not sure if Im ready to rope up. Bouldering seems more my cup of tea at this point. Removing the harness and just climbing made me feel like a kid again, just climbing to climb. Are crash pads used in outdoor bouldering?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:
"hold-to-hold jumps (is there a proper term for this?)"

Dyno as in a dynamic move, as opposed to static where you are holding a static position and reach to the next hold.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
Nick, I too just started and I can't believe bouldering is so much fun! After my first time I wondered why it took me so long to try.
My hands were fried, but it was well worth it!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
David Aguasca

Profile:
nick,

always glad to have another climber aboard!

i wrote a pretty long response, but then i accidentally closed the window before posting it. i'll just condense what i remember:

hang around your gym, and you'll meet boulderers who go on day trips often. check out local climbing guide services if you want to be introduced to outdoor (roped) climbing. you're less than a 3 hour drive from joshua tree national park, which has incredible climbing, including bouldering. crash pads ARE used in outdoor bouldering. it wasn't always that way.

oh, and always use a crashpad AND a GOOD spotter. very important.

enjoy!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
Kelly Moore

Profile:
I just started indoor climbing and I'm addicted, but I had to stop these past couple weeks to keep my hands/forearms in shape for the kettlebell Nationals this Saturday. After that I'll be playing at Boulders Climbing Gym several times a week.

It was really awesome to see several women cranking out effortless pullups (all over 40 yoa to boot!)- a rare sight outside of Crossfit.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Kelly, I was impressed with a couple of ladies at the place I went to. One of them was helping my friend and I with our climbing routes. I made sure that my daughter watched them. THOSE women (and of course the women of Crossfit, Mike's gym, etc) are the women that I want my daughter looking up to as she grows up!

Nick