CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
David S Keisler

Profile:
Is it just me or do some of you guys also think its just a bit hot for HS football. Its not even August yet & here in SC its 95 to 100 degrees & some teams are doing TWO a DAYS..Surely they take precautions... but how fit can you expect to be in temps such as these.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
It's all about hydration, scheduling your drills/work intelligently and getting enough rest. 2-a-days in heat shouldn't be a problem if the coaches have half a brain.

EDIT-

To expand on that a bit...if it were me, I'd schedule all my conditioning work early, well before the heat of the day. Then come back for skills/drills early in the afternoon...the type of work where the reps are limited before switching in another unit or players (giving those "out" of the drill some rest and time to get water). It's a question of whether the coaches are of the mind to "toughen up" their athletes (stupid in mega-heat/mega-humidity IMO) or whether they're there to train them to be better football players. I just don't view the heat/humidity as that big an obstacle if approached reasonably.

(Message edited by h2o_goalie on July 29, 2006)
Old 07-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
Frank M Needham

Profile:
High school jv football team I was on did 2-a-days during August. The whole deal, wind sprints, burpees, leg lifts, push ups, drills, scrimmage. We did lifting on our time. If I remember correctly we got very little in the way of breaks/water as the thinking back then was way different. Funny, we didn't think anything of it really. BTW, that was in VA with heat/humidty both in the 80-90 range.

(Message edited by fmn on July 29, 2006)
Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Ahh the memories. Two-a-days and 3-a-days in Tupelo, Mississippi in August. We had some pretty smart coaches, and usually were pretty well hydrated. The afternoon sessions were awful.

Must have been doing something right, as we won the state championship
Old 08-01-2006, 07:23 AM   #5
Justin Algera

Profile:
Awwww...Just thinking back about 2-a-days in mid-August in the Florida Swamp. Man, am I glad Im done with that :proud:
Old 08-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Man,I don't know. It probably took me 15 years after college before my body stopped reving up in august, getting ready for double sessions. My workouts would increase in intensity without any concious thought, I would walk faster, react quicker. This will be my first year NOT coaching football after some 20 years of intermittant youth and high school coaching and there is a definite psychological void.

My youngest will start two-a- days in a couple of days as a freshman DB and WR. I'm impressed by how careful his coaches have been with hydration and rest periods. Much different from the 70's and 80's when I played.

Still, the smell of cut grass, even when it's 90+ outside, always stirs something inside at this time of year.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
Matt Richardson

Profile:
I feel for all the boys practicing on days like these. I remember 95 degree southeast VA days when the heat index pushed 105-110. We would start the season with about 100 guys (JV and Varsity) and would be down to about 60 after the two-a-days ended. Guys would drop like flies. Eat bananas and gulp down the water.