CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Russell Biser

Profile:
I have decided to go out for a practice of Auburn's Rugby team on tuesday, and possibly take it up to play in the fall. I have been doing crossfit since August 2005 and am now usually close or at "as Rxed" but my times are usually around the middle of the pack. What should I do to succeed? I am 6'4" and 175 lbs, so I don't know if I have the right build or should gain 30 pounds. I am fresh to the sport so I don't know what is what.

Any advice? (Besides increasing my tolerance for stout)
Old 03-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Catherine Imes

Profile:
Wait until you get out to practice.. I take it that this is a college side team ( not a club side). Getting bigger may not be that important at this point. I live in St. Louis and we've got several club side teams and a newly formed super league team. The guys are bigger, but they're older too.

You're tall and you would probably be an ideal height for a 2nd row or lock. See how the practices go and then base your decision on your position.

Good luck.
CI
Old 03-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
Russell Biser

Profile:
What does college side team mean? The team is only current Auburn university students.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
Luke Schollmeyer

Profile:
What does college side team mean? The team is only current Auburn university students.

I think what Catherine is referring to is the fact that most college teams don't have bigger blokes, but clubs do since they tend to be open to the public. There's a big difference with guys who are 25 - 35 and have had more time to put on weight and such.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Catherine,
We(Nashville Rugby) played the St Louis Ramblers yesterday, good bunch of boys, they gave us a much better match than we expected. Still a victory for us though.

Russell,
If you can hang "as Rx'd" on most WODs, you should be in pretty good shape for rugby. Its kinda getting toward the end of the spring season right now, go ahead and get started, play through the summer 7's season as well( 7's is 7 men per team Vs the usual 15 man a side game, played in the summer here, lots of fun).

Also see if they have a summer Touch rugby program. Its a good way to learn the game, and get some good runs in. Unfortunately you pick up some bad habits related to the full game, but it is still a lot of fun.

You sound about the right size to be a lock or a flanker. And a lineout jumper most likely at that weight. Let us know how practice goes.
Andy

Old 03-20-2006, 06:23 AM   #6
Catherine Imes

Profile:
Yeah, I play for the St. Louis Sabres (currently not playing due to other commitments). We really like the Ramblers. They are a good bunch of guys. I think we are playing the Nashville women later in April.

Russell, basically college side teams are smaller, less experienced because they are younger(Essentially what Luke said). It's great that you are starting in college, because if you like the sport you would likely do well if you wanted to move to a good club side team when you graduate.

CI
Old 03-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
Brian Rideout

Profile:
Russell,
I started playing in high school, my coaches all played on our local club team. There advice was come and watch and run with the club teams on there practice nights. It was a great learning experience. The other point they made was come to games always bring your kit with you. What happens they will run short of guys for the B or C sides and less experienced guys get invited to play never say no just play.
My first summer took from playing high school to club to provincial rep teams. It was just time with the ball in play that got it going.

Good Luck!!
Brian
Old 03-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
Russell Biser

Profile:
Since some of you are from St. Louis, I will ask my father who he played for when he was there after getting out of the air force. He played club in St. Louis for a couple of seasons in the 70's.

First practice tomorrow. Hope I keep both of my ears!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
Catherine Imes

Profile:
Hey Russell,

Hope your first practice went well. Let us know. Also, you may want to get a scrum cap. I couldn't stand wearing one, and I didn't. But, if you play long enough (and end up being in the scrum..2nd Row where your head will be wedged between your hooker and your prop), you will want one so you don't get cauliflower ear.

Good luck!
CI
Old 03-21-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Russell Biser

Profile:
Catherine,

The first practice did go well. We scrimmaged sevens for 3 hours with a few minutes break between games. You guys were right I can keep up pretty well fitness wise, but skill is another story. I got called off sides 4 times, knocked on several times, and once threw what I thought was a legit pass but ended up going forward.

They don't have a full B side so showing up put me on the team. But the coach doesn't know where he wants me to play until I go through a few more practices (with cleats instead of slick trainers) and do some skill work.

-Russ