CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Pierre Auge

Profile:
I'm not sure how many of you watched UFC last night, but I was sure proud to see my fellow Canadians out there representing.

I would like my American friends to recognize something. The population of the United States is upwards of 230 million while the population of Canada is downwards of 30 million.

My point here is that although we have a much smaller pool of competitive Combat Athletes we are still able to produce a large enough number of qualitity fighters for the UFC to promote a USA vs. Canada fight night. The simple fact that we can produce enough competitive athletes to make noticeable competition is one thing. But the fact that our fighters can win against a much larger training pool I think shows well the character of the larger Canadian ideal.

While BJ Penn is a great fighter George St-Pierre dominated the final two rounds and thats with blood flowing pretty freely through his eyes.

Even more indicative of my point is not a winning fighter. David Loiseau stood (and turtled at some points) for 5 rounds with Rich Franklin. While I'm not saying that Loiseau did a good job fighting because in my opinion he did badly. The idea is that he got the living crap kicked out of him and at the end of the fight he was able to stand easily. Round after round he was pummeled by a much better fighter yet he kept in the fight even though he may have been doing more running then actual fighting. My point is he survived, and thats what I'm talking about. I think we will continue to see this type of determination come from Canadian fighters. We will see guys win and lose and stand up proud at the end out of shear will and determination. Determined not to let big brother beat the crap out of us and give him the satisfaction of us giving up.

Now if our Canadian Fighters can start to learn from our big brother the USA we might, with our harsh environmental conditions, technical expertise, scientific knowledge, and good ole' Canadian enginuity begin to produce Combatants the likes of which the world has never seen. CrossFit is about to explode in Canada. CrossFit will lead the change in how we think about fitness and conditioning, and how we beat the crap out of each other at the bar on a Sudbury Saturday night. And when it hits the ring look out, because the last thing anyone would expect to see is bunch of already competitive extemely fit CRAZY french Canadians showing up even more fit and more confident and more likely to beat the crap out of our American Friends at the UFC.

I want CrossFit to bare witness to this. We have underestimated the largest faction of competitive combat athletes and in fact athletes in general in what most Americans consider the frozen wasteland that is (not quite) Canada. French speaking Canada has no inhibitions about fitness and intelligient training. They do gymnastics, they perform the Olympic lifts without fear of being considered outlandish. They use proper techniques for plyometrics and calisthenics, they produce the highest ratio of competitive athletes in this country relative to their small population. They do CrossFit and they don't even know it. They do the exercises, they simply haven't put them together yet. I aim to show them what they've been missing.

Imagine men like George St-Pierre competing once he's been introduced to Fran, Helen or Cindy! These men would be terrible opponents to face and they already are.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
GSP IS THE MAN!! I can't wait to see him take the title. He improves with every fight and I think Matt is going to have his hands full next time.

I'm not a big Loiseau fan, but I think he proved without a doubt that he can take a beating. I'm actually glad Rich held the title. He represents everything I think a professional athlete should be.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I havn't seen the event yet but from what I read BJ must have choked after beating the crap out of GSP in the first. Sounds like it was a dull fight in the 2nd and 3rd.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Pierre Auge

Profile:
No in fact it wasn't a dull fight in the 2nd and 3rd. BJ didn't seem to choke but it looked as if he just didn't Know what to make of George. For some reason he didn't seem to be very strong on the ground which I was surprised because he tends to be a strong ground fighter. But I wasn't in the ring so my speculations are just that speculations and I don't like to do that very much. I'm going to stick to what I know St-Pierre won the fight and it was in fact in my opinion the first round that was dull it didn't pick up until mid second and then took off in the third.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Pierre,

Not to burst your bubble, but I think you're leaving out the U.S. athletes entering an incredible breadth of pro sports here. Our elite athletes generally go where the money is: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL (like a much larger percentage of Canadians), boxing, Track and Field, et. al. The mind races at the thought of what a fighter with the physical gifts of Terrell Owens could do. I can appreciate a little post-fight testosterone-filled nationalism, though. Rock on, my northen brothers!