CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Amber Burke

Profile:
Has anyone ever approached one of these facilities about holding Cross Fit classes there?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Unless they can make money off you....they probably won't help out.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Amber Burke

Profile:
I am currently one of the S & C coaches at a Velocity and I am trying to work with my owner in renting out space to Cross Fit followers... just wanted to know if anyone else out there had any experience with this. Most of the posts I was reading yesterday are dealing with regular gyms and Velocity seems to have the right kind of space and equipment for the workouts.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Let us know how you fare Amber. There is a Velocity here, I have never been there but it seems like they have their protocol and want to do that so I have never taken the time.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
Amber Burke

Profile:
Well, because VSP is a franchise, they are all a little different in what they offer and will tolerate in their facility. Yes, for the target population (athletes between the ages of 6-18) the protocol is essentially the same. But, the adult classes can be different.
We have adult classes that vary from regular high/low intensity fitness classes to Adult sport performance classes complete with speed, agility, and olympic lifting (1.5 hr class).
I am not sure how the other centers operate their adult fitness, but each center has down time due to catering to school schedule, so to me that is a great opportunity to "rent space" for cross fit sessions.

check out our facility www.velocitysp.com/ashburn

I will let keep you posted.

Cheers!
Old 10-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
If you can offer something during the dead hours of say 6am or 9am when they are not doing their programs...you may have a chance...but again they will look at it from a business point of view....like most gyms do.

Hard to think outside the box in some franchises...but best of luck with it you never know.

PS..be nice to Amber, she's hot. ;)
Old 10-06-2006, 04:19 AM   #7
Amber Burke

Profile:
The dead hours are what I was going after. We are only open half a day on Sat and closed on Sun; and middle of the day is dead for us too. I have been taking the guys that I CrossFit with there when we are closed and it works out well. I would love to get more people (that are serious about training) in my area involved (firefighters, police, military)so I was thinking those middle of the day hours would work for them since most of them probably get time to work out during the day for their jobs anyway.
But, alas, you are right- it always comes down to the green goblin! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Thanks for the advice and I will keep you posted!

P.S. Thanks for the compliment too!
Old 10-06-2006, 04:45 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Amber,

What times do you usually Crossfit at? I'm over in Reston.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 AM   #9
Amber Burke

Profile:
I usually train by myself during the week at 9:30 or 10:00am depending on how long the workout is. (I don't have to begin work until 11am.) On Saturday usually around 9-10am with the other guys
and Sunday around 1 or 2 (I have soccer games on Sunday mornings)
My husband and the rest of the gang train at the Ashburn Gold's at 5pm everyday.

Where in Reston do you train?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:45 AM   #10
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
I would think that if you approach your boss/owner with the "something is better than nothing" angle, they would be receptive. If I'm running a facility, every hour that no one is using it is an hour that I'm not making any money. Especially since you're already a staff member, I can't see this as anything BUT a win-win situation, really. Pick up your own messes, don't break too many things...I would think they'd eat it up.