CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
For those who are interested, here's the status so far.

For training my cadets and Officer Candidates, I've been given (almost full) authority to basically run the show with Outfit P.T. We should have around 80-90 members this fall. We have other aspects of training besides physical that the Training Chain will take care of, but I'll handle the exercise. I'll talk with Corps Staff eventually about all of this, but in retrospect, just like jumping into CrossFit itself, I need to work slowly and surely, recording all of my successes along the way, before moving this up to Corps level. Success breeds success.

I also have a few non-Corps people who are interested in starting up a CrossFit TAMU this fall. Looking at it now, I'm not sure that's such a good idea, since I can't train non-regs and Corps people at the same time, and my schedule is going to be insanely Charlie-Foxtrotted this semester as it is. I'll be pulling a lot of late nights as it is.

Random T-shirt idea: "CrossFit, the Charlie-Foxtrot of fitness" Ha. Moving on...

I've also got buddies who laughed at and ridiculed kettlebells and a lot of the other "weird stuff" I do for P.T. (Joint Mobility, one-legged squats) who are now asking for lessons from me. I have three already who have ordered a 1pood, two who will soon order a 1.5pood, with more buying along the way. Soon my Outfit will have a full (light) kettlebell gym from my class alone. It's hard not to say "I told you so", but these are my brothers and sisters, and they've done a lot for me these past two years. The least I can do is train them and share what I know. All I'm going to show them is the basic ballistics: Swings, Snatches, Cleans, and Jerks. I don't know my way around the barbell versions of these well enough yet, but I can certainly show kettlebells.

Since gymnastic and bodyweight movements are mainly what PT is focused on right now, I'll simply make it CrossFit-style. Cindy, Barbara, Angie, all of those girls are coming out. Lots of other modified WODs, and a few of my own, as well. And of course back off days and weeks. Somebody else wanted us to do PFTs more often, I countered by showing Cindy and some of the "average" CrossFitters numbers. So now we're only doing PFTs when the Corps tells us to. I expect good results.

I plan on cutting down a lot of the long-distance runs to about 1-2 per week (Outfit Runs = Outfit Pride. They're not going away and I wouldn't want them to), and concentrating a lot more on sprints, circuits, and Tabata work. Once that happens, Outfit Runs will be a lot more relaxing since fewer people will be falling out and collapsing. I know from first-hand experience how well this works.

I also finished an e-book last night that I'll be distributing to my Outfit and eventually to the Corps that is filled with descriptions of gymnastic movements and strength/conditioning programs. The book borrows a LOT of ideas and concepts from both the CrossFit and Dragondoor communities. The more I study and learn, the more I realize how much the guys I'm training with don't know. I need more trainers as Beta Readers, but I've gotten a couple good ones so far.

I'm currently running three days behind the WOD, and will probably stay that way for quite a while, editing it as needed for the equipment I have.

I'm also doing a bodyweight workshop this fall which will cover one-armed pushups, one-legged squats, and bar muscle-ups. I need to get a lot better at the MUs first, and study a lot of what Coach Sommer has to say on them, but the other two I have full confidence in teaching right now.

It's going to be a very busy and a very awesome semester. I can't wait. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks again to the CrossFit community for all of your help with this.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
Albert Clayton

Profile:
Give em hell Aggies.

Take care of your fish.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
The fish, ****heads, 'butts, and Zips aren't going to know what's hit 'em come this fall. WHOOP!

Thanks and Gig 'Em, Albert.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:12 AM   #4
Chris Siler

Profile:
Gig,em
Crap outs CFit style - the fish will love it. If I only new of CFit while I was a cadet.

P2-97
Old 08-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #5
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Actually, Chris

Update: Well, training time has been cut VERY short. I have 2-3 PT sessions a week to work with, and I can't do much with every class since I first have to focus on the "gimp" (injured) freshmen.

So here's what I did. CrossFit for injured people. Can't run? You can do Cindy. Can't push? You can do pullups. Can't squat correctly? Well, that's why I'm training them.

I'm doing sandbag miles and trying to find people to come do random CrossFit workouts with me. No takers yet, but we'll see.