CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Floyd Salazar

Profile:
Hey all, I'm new to the CF method but after two WOD's I'm a believer. Here is my question: I'm working out on a mon-fri schedule and started the WOD posted on 11/25/06 and am just following a few days behind the calander proper. Today I did the pull-up workout posted on 11/26 and I sadly only could go for eleven minutes. For years I've been following the prevailing weight lifting for an hour and cardio for 45 min method. After I finished the pull up workout, I went and cardio'ed for 35 min - is this too much?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
No, it is not too much...at least not in the sense that you are over training yourself with "all that" cardio time. You will find out that your CrossFit workouts are your cardio workouts and your strength workouts, and your muscular stamina workouts...point is you won't be doing cardio workouts per se.

You will benefit from reading about CF in the Foundations section on the main CF page. Once you understand the philosophy of CF the CF "way" if you will, it will be clear why the bodybuilding model makes no sense. Segmented training builds segmented capacity and you need your body to work as a unit. This message board is a goldmine of information so stay on here and keep reading.

Again, no problem with the cardio stuff after your pullups, but you will find that after a met con workout (metabolic conditioning) you will not have any interest in a treadmill.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
Floyd Salazar

Profile:
Thanks - I appreciate your insight. The "foundations" document has been a great source of info. I got turned onto CF by a guy from my fire dept - a bunch of the guys are talking about it. I'll be sure to share it with them.