CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
Hi all, online there a free article for you to view concerning the shoulder pains, discomforts and such that many have posted on.

Link is w/f safe and it's over at Biomechanics online.

http://www.biomech.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=GR12UDBSDRF20QSNDLPCK H0CJUNN 2JVN?articleID=201000601

I hope this may answer or at least shed some light on the subject.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Wayne Nelson

Profile:
Thanks for the link. This is a very good journal and a very well written article. Dr. Kelly's discussion on kinetic chains gives validation to the importance of correct technique and how dysfunction in one area can affect function in a seemingly unrelated location. His discussion of the affects of posture on shoulder function is right on and reinforces the importance of correcting imbalances of shoulder girdle stabilization.

Dr. Kelly's exercise recommendations are a very good start on rehab for scapular (shoulder blade) instabilities. Eventually the shoulder complex needs to be strengthened for stabilization in all functional ranges of motion. This applies especially to overhead positions in the overhead athlete.

Just a note of clarification: The balance between the scapular retractors/depressors (mid and low traps) and the serratus anterior (a protractor) maintains proper relationship between the scapula and rib cage (controls winging). Actually the serratus ant is a protractor (at least the lower fibers are) that is why the push-up plus is the best exercise for that muscle.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
I am amazed at how many people think that the pain originating from the anterior delt is not related anyplace else other than where your finger is touching when you tell someone that your shoulder hurts.

This is a running topic for discussion on this board with many people starting out from either inactivity, or improper lifting. They start out trying things out on their own without having someone look at their position while performing an action so that they get immediate feed back.

I do hope many more people take the time to go and read up and get informed. Maybe learn a thing or two.

There are many more articles online much like this one over at the Biomechanics online magazine. www.biomech.com (w/f safe)

Happy reading, learning, sharing.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
I think I might have come in from the "improper lifting" category, despite my efforts to maintain muscular balance in the past.
I also tried cleaning heavy weight prior to getting instruction. I think the combo of that plus generally inflexible shoulders put me in a mild ache situation.
I have been off of workouts for about a week. My plan is just to lay off of all upper body exercise until I'm %100.

I thought I was in good enough shape to start intense with a scaled WOD, but I wasn't fit top to bottom. Oh well.

I guess the coolest thing I learned is that working out with a broomstick can have the same great effect as heavy weight because of the neurological training, which is significant and taxing. Shoulda started with that.

Just checking, is plain rest the best protocol? Would stretching/massage/"rehab"-type exercise just inflame and upset the shoulder?}
Old 07-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Ben,

I am currently checking out a book called "Treated Your Own Rotator Cuff" by Jim Johnson, PT.

Program is based on stretches and strengthening exercises that were derived from peer reviewed studies as to their effectiveness.

I haven't spent any time with the program, yet, but the info appears to be pretty good and agrees with some of the other things I've seen on the topic.

Since you are in town, if you wanted to swing by and take a look at it some time send me a PM.