CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Austin Scales

Profile:
I wasn't sure where to put this, but a friend of mine has been practicing the planche progressions, but he's struggling, because he's worried about locking out his arms due to the fact that his elbows hyperextend extremely. Virtually every gymnast I know has elbows like that, but apparently his doctor told him he should avoid locking out his arms. Any comments?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Actually I wouldn't say every gymnast. It's completely genetic though I use to believe it used to be called.
I see it more with girls, but that's probably to either more girls being in the sport; but I've heard there could be a gender specific predisposition to. I'm on the fence about that, but the ratios almost seem to support that.

I like to call it freak elbow, which is half offensive half a joke to the girls that have it. They don't seem to mind it, but watch out how adults can take it.

It really has freaked me out when it comes to tumbling with gymnasts who have this. Of course- they are the ones who sometimes complain of joint pain or what not during tumbling. It will stress the joints, but this also has something to do with the angle of hand placement in line with their skeletal structure.

About the only remedy I've heard for this is...condition the muscles around joints for hyperextension. That's about the best one can do.

Roger was telling me of some guy who used to compete and his elbows would nearly touch in a ring handstand.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Austin Scales

Profile:
Wow, thanks for the info!