CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
In addition to my previous post on stretch marks, what are your thoughts/experiences/etc. on laser hair removal.

I am aware that hair is reduced each session (since hair growth is cyclical), but can you accomplish if not permanent close to permanent results after several treatments?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Taryn Dunn

Profile:  
Hi Frank,
You are in luck. I am a registered nurse who recently entered the field of cosmetic medicine.

We do not offer guarantees to our clients but most people can expect as much as a 30% reduction in hair growth after just one treatment but results vary greatly from person to person. Of course if the goal is to be hair free, more treatments are required. As to permanency of the results, the hair follicles that are disabled appear to not be able to ever generate hair again, but this is a relatively new field.... no one really knows for sure what long term results will be.

The frequency of treatments depends on the area being lased. Growth cycles differ dramatically from one body area to another. The follicle has to be in an active state of growth to be disabled and hair follicles are never all active at the same time.

Additionally, if you are blonde or red headed, you are not a likely candidate. This method works best if you are fair skinned with dark hair.

Oh yes... sunexposure, tanning beds, and self tanning products are a big no-no during treatments due to the possibility of the laser burning the skin.

Is this more than you wanted to know?

Old 02-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Excellent! Thank you. :-)