CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Becky Hardie

Profile:  
A question for you all, to see if anyone has any experience with this since the advice of my medical practitioners hasn't done much to help thus far.

The pain is in the area of my left hip joint and is quite sharp and warm and very specifically located. It feels as if it is near or in where the leg bone attaches to the pelvis. It occurs occasionally after a (usually extended) run, but always when I attempt to do that 'lower back stretch', the one where you're lying on your back, one leg extended and the other bent and pulled up to the chest -- I simply cannot do that with my left leg. Right leg is no problem. Those are the only times I feel it.

At first I thought it was a pulled groin muscle. Went to see the doctor and she gave me a note to see a physiotherapist. The next day the excruciating pain in my left hip/groin area (which I felt everytime I took a step) was completely gone. Great, I thought. Either I heal really fast or it wasn't anything that serious to begin with. This experience has been the norm since; a day of excruciating pain and then it disappears until whenever I next aggravate it.

I was having some problems with my left knee at the time as well, so I brought up the hip/groin thing with the physiotherapist but he thought it was merely an extended symptom of knee imbalances. I was diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome, so I was told strengthing the various muscles surrounding the knee would make all the hurts go away. A couple years pass, and I start running again. It hurts, the hip/groin area hurts, I stop, I do the exercises the physiotherapist recommended figuring those and rest are what'll make it better. This pattern has continued for approximately 24 months now, with varying degrees of success.

Fortunately the knee is has gotten much better since I started doing squats and crossfitting in general. But the hip thing is not going away! The only other lead I have is from a chiropractor I once visited, who remarked that my hip pain was very similar to that his ballet dancers experienced. But I've never been a ballerina or a dancer. Any ideas on what this is? My doc is at a loss.