CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-10-2004, 06:35 AM   #1
Ralph

Profile:

I don't get it. I sporadically suffer from the oddest injuries. The inside of my left elbow has this reoccuring pain (hurts most while doing standard pull-ups). Then, just yesterday, my right elbow had this sudden sharp pain. I went to grab the phone and my arm just gave out. Luckily, my right elbow pain seems to have dissipated now, but it's just frustrating to suffer from these things. Knock on wood, but I haven't had problems with my shoulders, knees, and back (though my back has been feeling a few kinks lately). Oh ya, and my hamstring used to be pretty bad... that is until I started Crossfit. Since then my hamstring has been pretty good.

Ok, enough ranting and raving. I just needed to let out a little steam. I guess the most frustrating aspect of injuries is the negative impact it has on my mentally. Sure, I can't train while I'm injured or rehabiliting an injury, but I think my mental approach to it makes it even worse.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:00 AM   #2
Ben Gimball

Profile:

Ralph,

I have seen other trainees with the exact left "inside elbow" pain that you describe. This usually (not always) occurs when they are doing a high degree of "Chin-ups" (palms toward you) as opposed to "Pull-ups" (palms away from you).
Try doing Pull-ups exclusively for a while and you may see a reduction of pain.

Also, I have found that you can make some of the best gains in some areas, when other areas are injured. Try switching the focus to your lower body, or pushing movements, at the (temporary) exclusion of all pulling movements. I had one trainee who shot over 25 dead hang Pull-ups, only after he incurred a knee injury! That knee helped him out in other areas!

Stay upbeat, don't let the injuries beat you mentally!

Good Luck,
Old 03-10-2004, 07:43 AM   #3
Ralph

Profile:

Thanks Ben. I appreciate the advice.

I actually feel the pain more when my palms are facing out.

But in any case, maybe I should focus on the lower body. I know my runs and squats could use a lot of focus!

Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #4
Coach

Profile:

I second Ben's sage advice. Thanks, Ben.

Coach