CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
Grant Anderson

Profile:
I'm moving back to school soon, and I want to have a pullup bar in my room so I don't necessarily have to go to the gym all the time. I was looking at those door pullup bars, and wondered if anyone here has used one, or has any recommendations. I think I'll be able to mount it, but how much weight do they support? Can I do weighted pullups with it? Any brand recommendations? Thanks!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
I bought the Everlast Multi-Function chin up bar, you can put it together with two crescent wrenches. I like it, it works in almost any doorway in my house, and doesn't mar the door frame. I put duct tape over the skate tape strip on the wood part of the frame - the skate tape leaves black marks on the wall. Otherwise, I've been happy with it. Also, I removed the foam hand grips on the bar because I wanted better traction for pull ups.
http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Multi-Function-Chinning-Bar/dp/B00091RXN2/ref=sr_ 1_2/102-7553808-8756113?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1185896340&sr=1-2
Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Christopher Shear

Profile:
I have a door pull up bar and I weigh 280lbs. It works great, no problem. The only issue is that the width of the door is not quite as wide as I normally like to keep my hands when doing pullups. The only other issue is that mine is the kind that has brackets that screw into the wooden door frame, so if your place has a metal door frame or you're not allowed to drill holes, then you'll have an issue. I got mine at a sporting goods store called academy for $12.00
Old 08-06-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
Gabriel Ortiz

Profile:
I have a door pull up bar. It is the type that graps onto the top of the door frame and the sides of the frame.

It works well. I weighed(when using it) approximately 230 and there wasnt a problem in the world.

I have, since, bought a stand alone. Thus, I am not using it anymore. If you are in the Southern California area perhaps we can talk.

Sinc, --g.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
Kevin Platt

Profile:
In case you still need info. I use a chin up bar called the "Door Gym". Bought it on ebay and so far has worked like a charm, however I wouldn't want to "kip" on it. Probably like most door chin up bars, it can also be used for push-ups (although I personally find it a bit to narrow for my liking) and sit-ups. I should mention it can be put up and taken down with ease and requires no mounting screws or other hardware.

(Message edited by kt platt on August 08, 2007)
Old 08-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Grant Anderson

Profile:
Cool, thanks for the info, I think I'm going to get the Door Gym type that is easily removable. I imagine its just more convenient and such.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
So if the bar requires no hardware, there's basically no way to kip right? Are the grips too narrow/wide on those?

I'm interested because we aren't allowed to screw anything into the wall at my school.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Kellee, I actually have the same pullup bar.

The everlast one is pretty good. It is good if you don't want to screw anything into the wall. A warning, though, is that since it is not screwed into the door frame, it can be dislodged. It's happened to me once at least. Kipping might not be a good idea. Just a little bit of upward pressure on the bar could dislodge it.

Kellee, are you having any trouble with the parts coming loose? No horrific calamities yet but that has been happening to my bar somewhat.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
Todd Greening

Profile:
Try this sight out. Lots of good homemade equipment. The door chin-up bar is nice.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenand...odyweight.html
Old 08-09-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
Kevin Platt

Profile:
From the look of things the everlast and doorgym products share a lot of similarities. The door gym may not offer as many possibilities in terms of hand position on the chins or pulls. Kippings would probably be a no go on any door frame chin up bar unless mounted with hardware. The door gym is fine in width for chins, pull-ups and offers the ability to do chins with your palms facing each other (but I think the everlast one looks like it offers the choice of two posns for that type of chin). The door gym has some accessories as well but I did not purchase anything beyond the basic bar.