CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
Eric Nichols

Profile:
After 4 months of Crossfitting I have outgrown the Y and am building my garage gym.

I have some questions for those that have rolled there own pull up bars as well as hung rings and a climbing rope. Not much experience on construction projects so I'm in new territory.

My garage is old, built in the 30's, and shows it. All weight bearing support is done with 2x4's. I picked up a 4" x 4"x 10' to span from an internal wall to the external wall of a small room in the garage. It will be about 8' - 8.5' off the ground, for now that will have to do for rings and rope. The 4 x 4 will butted up against intersecting 2 x 4's on each side, one vertical and 1 horizontal. I am using 1" diameter bolts to secure the 4 x 4 to both 2 x 4's on each side.

See my crude ascii drawing attached to get an idea of what I'm doing.

My question is do you think a 4 x 4 bolter to some 2 x 4's is strong enough to support a 175# guy? I have picked up pipe to build a pull up bar similar to others posted here on the forum and want to make sure it is going to be solid enough for kipping.

If its not I could pick up another 4 x 4 and add a supporting beam in the center by either going to the floor or up to a joist (I'm not sure how strong these are), or use a 4 X 8 rather than a 4 x 4.

Also, how far out should the pull up bar extend from the supporting beam. Right now I have 6" sections of pipe for it, but I'm thinking 4" might be better due to torque applied while kipping. Im gonna bolt the flanges to the beam using 4 1/4" bolts on each side.

|
| 6" or 4"
---------
48"

Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Thanks CF Community

eric

Old 12-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Better if you post a pic of your garage and then you might get some feedback. Though you might understand what your plans say ascii isn't exactly standard stuff for communicating what you intend to build and I for one can't make heads or tails of them.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Eric Nichols

Profile:
Yeah, I plan on doing that, as the file downloads all garbled, formatting is messed up. Picture to come this evening.
Thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
Eric Nichols

Profile:
OK Here are some pictures.

Picture 1 is from the front of the garage, I will be mounting the 4x4 in a similar position as the 2 x 4 in the forefront, but several feet back, bolted to the horizontal 4x4 and the vertical 4x4.

Picture 2 illustrates the intersecting 2x4's that the 4x4 wil be bolted to.

Picture 3 illustrates the intersecting 2x4's that the 4x4 will be bolted to on the other side of the garage.

I could attach the climbing rope to the top beam where the rafter is attached in the top center of picture 1, not sure how much weight it will support.

Any ideas/advice welcome.

Thanks

Picture 1
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34627.jpg
Picture 2
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34628.jpg
Picture 3
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34629.jpg
Old 12-29-2006, 05:34 AM   #5
Michael Leach

Profile:
I'm no engineer by any means, but whenever I do any project, I like to "overbuild" it. I would say to add some extra braces between the 4x4 and the roof trusses.

Here are some pictures of the braces I added to secure my rings in my living room, maybe it'll give you an idea of what I mean.

Also, did you really mean 1" diameter bolts? Thats insane. I used 3/8" bolts and they were more than sufficient. I'd be leary of drilling 1" holes in 2x4s :-\

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34643.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34644.jpg
Old 12-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #6
John Frazer

Profile:
Eric,

I used to be a carpenter, so I think I have a fair idea of what you have in mind.

The biggest thing you need to know is that a wider board has greater strength against flexing under a sideways load. (4x4s are used for support posts on decks and such where the load is vertical and not too heavy.)

You also need to know that construction standards have increased considerably since the 1930s, and that roof framing would probably not be considered adequate today. In the section you photographed, you've got only one 2x4 ceiling joist and one short collar tie. There's a reason you see a lot of old barns and garages with sagging roofs and "potbellied" walls. Now you're planning to add a heavy, violently kipping load to the structure.

What I would do if I were you is figure out where you want your pullup bar to span. I would run it parallel to the side wall of the garage. Make it wide enough for as many people as will be training at a time and don't put it where it will be in the way of overhead lifts.

Then, I'd nail a 2x8 (maybe even 2x10) and run it all the way across the garage like a ceiling joist. Nail it to the rafters and top plate at the ends. Make sure it's above a wall stud on each end. Add another 2x4 to double up the stud. Then add another 2x8 to double up your new joist. Nail together from both sides.

Repeat at the spot where you want the other end of your pullup bar.

Attach the pullup bar between the joists with pipe flanges, far enough from the wall that you won't bang your legs and knees.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:14 AM   #7
Beau Bryant

Profile:
I too have an old garage. Although not an answer to your question this is what I did with my pullup bar to give me more leg room for kipping. The corner set up is great.
Link family/work safe.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/33928.html
Hope it helps
Old 12-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
Frank M Needham

Profile:
That roof framing is what passed for a cut and stack method back in the day. As John infers, it is minimal by today's standard. There are more than a few ways to do what you are attempting but John's idea is very solid, especially for the long bar setup.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
Eric Nichols

Profile:
Great thanks for the tips guys. The structure of the garage leaves much to be desired, but its what I have to work with.
I do like John's idea, it seems like it will provide for the most safety/support. Seems like I would be able to attach my rings to the bar,and probably hang my climbing rope from one of the new joists?
I saw your picture Beau and thought that that also looked good, if John's idea doesnt work out I'll go that way.

Any more ideas or thoughts are welcome.
Time for a trip to HD.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
Eric Nichols

Profile:
So here is a drawing I did that represents my interpretation of John's ideas. Please take a look and see if it looks like I understand completely, or if I dont that what I've done here makes some sense.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34660.gif