CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-17-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Nic Olson

Profile:  
I will be investing in an ab wheel an would like any opinions on which ones are best.

I have heard that the power wheel II found at http://www.jumpusa.com/ppowrwhl.htm is great since you can also work your hams and back very effectivly, but its $50 new and $25 used (ebay)

On the other hand an old school wheel is $7. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nic
Old 08-17-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
Bruce Kocher

Profile:
Nic: I have one of these. It's well made and performs as advertised. Great Tabata potential. I have found it very easy to strain my lower back by not staying tight or holding a hollow or however you think of not letting your middle go soft. Good piece of gear and worth the price difference from the regular wheel (IMHO). Viewer discretion is advised.

Best regards,
Bruce
Old 08-17-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Nic Olson

Profile:  
Bruce,
thanks for the insight. Good to hear anothers thoughts before spending $$
Old 08-17-2005, 06:19 PM   #4
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
Nic,

I've had one for 2 years that I bought for about $10. It works great.
I also work/workout at a gym that has the one you mentioned. It works great too, but in exactly the same way as my cheapo model.

The cheaper model has two skinny wheels in the middle of the handle which is great because I can take the grips off the handle, spread the wheels and do one-arm wheel stuff.

The more expensive model looks nicer and has the loops for your feet which I've experimented with, but never really found much use for. There are plenty of other exercises that are better for developing Glute/Ham strength than this attachment, IMHO. The movement demonstrated on the website with the feet in the loops and drawing the stomach up in a pike position can be practiced on a hardwood floor in socks. Not worth the extra $$ if you ask me.

Of course you could always get a set of rings for a little more and do all of the exercises from the ab wheel on the rings plus about a thousand more. Rings are also more adjustable to your strength level which is great for learning progressions to really hard stuff, like standing wheel work.

Anyway just my two cents.

For fun when you get your wheel try this:
Have a buddy grab your legs wheelbarrow style and wheel you around as you stay 'tight' and 'hollow'. Going backwards is hard, as is changing direction and turning. Go slow in the beginning. Funfunfun.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
One thing that really helped me with the ab wheel in the beginning was starting on my knees and using a wall to shorted the movement. Then build up to full range over time. Then starting from feet, start over using the wall again.

One cool idea for using the foot straps - you can do wheelbarrows all by yourself.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
Ross Hunt

Profile:
A point to consider: Standing, full-ROM wheel roll-outs take considerable shoulder strength. This is not a bad thing, but if your shoulders happen to be weak, then this might not be the exercise for extra abdominal training.

The power wheel is fun for ab endurance work. You can do walks in push-up position for distance - very cool. BTW, I never got a posterior chain workout out of this gizmo.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:10 PM   #7
Nic Olson

Profile:  
This is alot of good info on wheels.

To change the subject, can the power rings http://www.ringtraining.com/ or something similar be found anywhere else? $80 is alot to me. Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 03:03 AM   #8
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Nic,

Depending on what you plan to do with the Rings, until(if ever,) you decide to get them, the idea for a very inexpensive PVC "apparatus" in this link may serve your needs.

http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/349140/

Stay strong,

Eddie
Old 08-18-2005, 05:42 AM   #9
bill fox

Profile:

FYI - crucial to keep the pelvis tucked and NEVER lose tension. Two very strong traines I know have jacked up their backs on the wheel. I chucked mine after doing it.

IMO - walkouts are safer. Stand like you're going to touch your toes. put your hands flat on the floor as far away from feet as necessary. Start slowly walking out your hands till you're like superman, MAINTAIN TENSION, then walk the hands back.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:01 AM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

I'd second what Bill said, but also point out that if you want a wheeled rollout, a barbell with loose plates works pretty well, too.