CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Marc Johnson

Profile:
I would like to get a littel more muscle on my frame. How do you hardcore cf'ers train to gain size? I still would like to use cf for its performance benefits, but I do need to be a little bit bigger.
Thanks.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
If you want to gain muscle (and obviously not fat) the first thing to get in order is diet. What are you eating currently? The recommendation here is the Zone diet or Zone/Paleo. Once you're following the Zone consistently and know your number of Zone blocks per day, you generally get down to the bodyfat % you want and then add fat blocks (or just more Zone blocks for some people) to add mass.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Ryan Norman

Profile:
Marc,
It's been my experience that following something like the One lift a Day program with Crossfit works well. Do a search for Black Box as well. Not only will you get quite a bit better at the lifts you choose, but should gain some size. Again, just my experience.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Eat more calories than you burn.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
Orlando Alonso

Profile:
Ryan that's a cool avatar.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Just to refine the search proposed by Ryan (a little) . . . search on CrossFit.com for the phrase "ME Black Box" . . . it refers to a variation of CrossFit developed by Coach Michael Rutheford (CrossFit KC affiliate http://www.crossfitkc.com/) that adds extra focus on "Max Effort" days. Will definitely boost strength and size.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Marc
Spend some time getting used to the intensity and the exercises, learning the movements. For different people that will be different lengths of time.
Once you feel comfortable with the regular cycle, start emphasizing the Max effort days. I do atleast one ME day per 3 day cycle. I still want the Met.con. that comes with the reg. crossfit routine. Check out Michael Rutherfords Max effort routine.
After a year Crossfitting, I've crept over the 265lb. mark, which is not what I wanted, but my performance still seems to be increasing.
I can give you more info. if you like.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Michael Ledney

Profile:
The WOD all by itself will put more muscle on your frame. Couple it with thoughtful and consistent diet choices and you'll be kicking sand in no time.

To Steve's point above, ME days help, but if you've been watching those are coming pretty frequently of late. Since 30-Dec 6 of 21 WODs have been ME type (counting Linda). Go back to 1-Dec and it's 11 of 43, back to 4-Nov and it's 16 of 63. Closer to 1 in 4 but still a pretty good ratio, and something that looks like it's being consciously pursued by the moderators.

When I switched from powerlifting to crossfitting last April I wasn't small. I was a 225# with ~15% BF. Just doing the WOD for a few months got my BF down in the 10-12% range at a constant body weight, didn't really notice anything visually though.

In Sept I started eating 20 block zone 5 days a week (sat/sun I still eat zone ratios but don't count my total blocks) and have seen some increase in muscle seperation, my deltoids have popped out, I have 4 pack abs, blah, blah, blah. Got on the scale the other night after the WOD and was shocked to see that I weigh 244. Not my goal at all, but my performances have been good and improving, so I'm not complaining.

Consider this a very long winded way of restating the CF mantra of WOD and diet, sorry for the rant.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Michael
I've seen a lot of rants here lately.

Yours is not one of them :-)
Old 01-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
Butch White

Profile:

Ha!... that's pretty funny Steveo! :wink: