CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I've got a number of regular training clients that i train CF style and I have to say that they are becoming a tough bunch. I've made them do FGB, Fran, Cindy you name it and not once have any of them come close to meeting pukie despite obviously putting in a huge effort.

Anyway last week I was making up workouts in my head for them to do and stumbled across something which has so far had a 100% success rate in bringing clients to exlaim "err i gotta stop i'm about to meet pukie)

set up the rower for 1 minute on 1 minute rest
Set up deadlift bar next to rower @ Bodyweight (or scaled)

5 rounds for max distance in each interval, max DL in each "rest" minute

Score is total distance rowed / total DL reps

I'm going to try it myself tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Sounds evil. Well done.

Bit of advice from someone who used to be taught martial arts by a guy who clearly wasn't fit. He would shout out commands to do 100 pushups in a row with no break and would just walk around and bark out more insults.

Try out the WODs that you make up on yourself first and then gauge success based on your performance. Not the other way around.

I know you're a trainer and I'm not telling you how to do your job but this is kind of a perspective from the "client" side.

Of course, if you already do this and this just an aberration just tell me to "sod off".
Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Don's pretty much a beast. He thrashes himself solidly from what I can remember from the board. I suspect he works plenty hard.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Stanley,

While there are trainers like that in the world, very few CrossFitters (at least the ones I know!) fall into that category of "I'm a trainer because I can yell really loudly".

That's something I do a lot, with my guys here at A&M. If I'm going to throw a workout at them, I've usually done it the week prior and simply added more rounds, reps, weight, etc (a tougher workout, in other words), to whatever I'm going to ask them to do. If it's a certain day of the week, and we've already gone over the movements very well, I instead do the workout with them, and strive to beat everyone's time or score. It keeps me in check, and when I do demonstrations of workouts or movements, people know that I can walk whatever talk I talk.

Any good trainer leads by example, and I see that much more at CrossFit than I do in most "fitness" circles.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Stanley, I agree 100% with you and I never inflict anything on a client that i'm not willing to do to myself at an even higher level.

Last week when the run 1600/bench press run 800/bench press etc workout came up I made sure i did the workout, gave it everything i had and then over the next few days a few clients got to try it.

In this case I thought it up while i was training someone and so a couple of clients got to do it before i've had a chance.

Tomorrow morning will definitely see me lying on the ground cursing the day i thought this one up!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I can now confirm that this workout sucks in that good sort of crossfit way.

I did this after about 40 minutes of O lifting and here is my score

Deadlifts were bodyweight (85kg)

round 1 - 288m/12 DL
round 2 - 279m/9
round 3 - 276m/8
round 4 - 270m/8
round 5 - 267m/5 (30 seconds of trying to get out of the rower! cut into DL time)

288m in 1:00 is 1:44 pace and 267m is a 1:52 pace.

I would wager that a good score would be consistent 300m/15+ DL
Old 01-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #7
Kelly Moore

Profile:
I like it Don! One of my strongest excercises (deadlifts) combined with one of my weakest (rowing)...I will have to give this one a try and report back.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #8
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Don ... I don't like you very much - in a sick CrossFit buy you a beer kind of a way:angry:. That was one of the nastiest workouts I have suffered through recently. Managed it a little but only cos I was worried about speed deads while exhausted.

Deadlifts were bodyweight (85kg)

round 1 - 314m/10
round 2 - 316m/10
round 3 - 309m/10
round 4 - 288m/10
round 5 - 272m/10

So for score 1499m/50.

Regarding your goal of a sub-7 2000, my gut feel is if you were still rapping out ~1.45 pace in the 5th round of this you would be pretty close to the prize. Nice one bud!!

Cheers, kempie
Old 01-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #9
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Glad you liked it!

I'd agree on the sub 7/2000m

If you crunch the numbers you'd find that i rowed at almost the same average pace as my 7:19 2000 from last week.

1380m in 5:00 is 276m/min and 2000m in 7:19 is 272m/min

The deadlifts just give it a change of scenery :proud:
Old 01-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
Brad Williams

Profile:

Don...nasty piece of work.

I set up with the bar about 40 feet from the rower. It cut down my DL reps but in the end I was glad for the rest.
BW dl's at 205lbs.

335 - 9
314 - 8
307 - 7
303 - 5
293 - 6

1552/35

I will definately do this again.