CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-16-2007, 03:58 AM   #1
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Question: when it says, "Partition the pullups, pushups, and squats as needed" does that mean you can do 4 sets of 20 pullups, then move on to pushups? Or does that mean you can do supersets of pullups, pushups, and squats in a 5:10:15 ratio?

Thanks!
Susie
Old 08-16-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Justin Andrew Joiner

Profile:
My understanding is that you must complete the exercises in order, however you can partition the total reps into sets. I.E. 5X 20 pullups, then 10X 20 pushups...

Of course if you were to break it down into 5:10:15 ratio you wouldn't exactly be cheating yourself.

gonna have to pass on this one today,too hot for me.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
"Partition as needed" means just that. Get 100PU, 200 push-ups, and 300 squats done as fast as possible between 2 one mile runs. Wanna make it harder, do it "Angie" style by completing 100PU before 200 push-ups, etc., but doing so is not mandatory. Simply doing all of the reps between the runs is still "as Rx'd" for this one. Many, MANY thoughts on this in previous "Murph" comments threads on the main page, eventually cleared up by a mod or two some time ago.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
I as well got a little question about the WOD

It took me 1:23.53' to complete it. Which make it quite more than the 45min( more or less), where your metabolism starts feeding on your muscle ( more or less) in order to get that energy.

Do you guys think it would be more efficient if I had scale murph a bit in order to make it fit into a 45min window?

Or does the muscular growth stimulation would compensate from the really little loss via the muscle feeding metabolism>?

Thanks and advance and sorry if It should have went in his own thread
Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Mark Miller

Profile:
IMHO if you don't do all the pullups then all the pushups and then all the squats you are not getting the full dynamic of the workout.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Frederic, the Heroes workouts are a different animals. You curse when you read them, you curse when you do them, and you curse for days after them. They're supposed to be hard. All the pain you feel while doing the workouts reminds you that you're still alive to do them. Cherish it.

Accordingly, they fall outside the "try to get this done in a certain time frame" mentality. The goal is to finish. If you can do it as rx'd, great. If not, give what you can.

As for partitioning...read the comments and articles about Lt. Murphy. Murph intended this workout to be done between the runs, however possible. If you want to do it like Angie, great. If you want to do it like Cindy, great. If you want to do all the squats first, great. But if you have ignored the comments and say it HAS to be done a certain way, then you get to name your new workout, post it on "CFPC workouts," and we'll do your workout tomorrow. Today we do Murph.

You have 2 miles, 100 pullups, 200 pushups, and 300 squats to do. There aren't many corners to cut here. Figure something out, fight through it, and honor a fallen hero.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
Joshua Bird

Profile:
Frederic,

I wouldn't worry to much about your body breaking down muscle in this instance. Think about it, soldiering through workouts like this will quickly raise your capacity for MetCon work. Keep doing the WOD's and you will see your times for these types of workouts drop quickly. Keep track of your times so you have something to shoot for and make sure your eating enough. Everything else should take care of itself
Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Gant, thanks for the signpost to Lt. Murphy; I didn't know that. I'm a day behind, so I was going to do BrandX scaled Murph tomorrow--(buttercup version: 1/2 mi./25/50/100; 1/2 mi.) but you've inspired me to go for the "puppy" level: (1/2 mi; 35/70/120; 1/2 mile).

Thanks.
Susie
Old 08-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #9
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
@Joshua:

It is indeed a good way of seeing it :D . I really like to optimize every aspect of the training, but at the same time there are some things that you must let the nature ( read : your body) take care of. I was just curious!

@Gant:

Cherish those workout, we shall
Old 08-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #10
James Reynolds

Profile:
Murph was beyond brutal yesterday. I haven't been that smoked since I was stationed at Bragg - that's been a while! :-)

Took me 1:43:50 but I got through it all, in order rather than partitioned, focused on form and technique rather than speed, so I am quite sure I can do it faster, but for now I want to make sure I am doing the exercises properly.

I can't wait to see what Michael has for me today. The only easy day was yesterday, right?