CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Tom Ellison

Profile:
Hey, I've been taking fish oil caplets for a while now, usually 5 (5000mg) per day. I recently ran out and have had to wait about a week for my next bottle to come in the mail (i'm in a place where I can't really buy them conveniently). During that week, I had the worst case of DOMS I've ever had, during a 3 day cycle of "Annie", then 5-5-5-3-3-3 back squat, then a scaled version of the "Hopper" WOD. I was dying. I also noticed a weird sensation in my neck that I can only describe as "crunchy", like cracking knuckle but very very small (although all my joints crack all the time, so who knows). Just wondering if the lack of fish oil could be related, and if anyone else has had any similar experiences.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Well, fish oil does help your body in many ways, but I don't think that skipping it for a short time can immediately reverse the benefits.

If that were true, Rogaine would find a great new market to get into.

It sounds to me like you're just pushing hard, maybe your diet and/or sleep are less than optimal too.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
I experienced something similar, although in reverse. I had chronic shoulder pain for about 6-8 months, which I had been trying to rehab with rotator cuff strengthening exercises and avoiding bench, shoulder press, etc. All of this had some, though limited success. I started taking fish oil caps last winter and within about a week my shoulder pain almost completely disappeared. I can now do hspu, shoulder press, ring dips, etc., generally w/o or with very limited pain. Fish oil has proven anti-inflammatory properties, which are also likely to be responsible for its cardiovascular benefit. Though less noticeable and more subjective, I think that I also have less DOMS than before fish oil supplementation. I haven't really stopped taking it, so I can't comment on how quickly the benefits disappear.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Tom Ellison

Profile:
Thanks, guys.

Ben - that was my reaction, I wouldn't think that in less than a week there would be such a change. It was just so noticeable in terms of DOMS. Recently I've not been getting very sore at all, but now my abs are still sore to the touch 96 hours after doing Annie, for example. It was just such a strong correlation. Or maybe I just got a "second wind" and have been pushing myself better. In terms of sleep, that could also be a reason...I'm in a very intense academic environment, which translates to about 6 hours of sleep a night max, often less, and a lot of stress. Although diet has been good.

Not a big deal, just seemed weird.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
Erin Schryver

Profile:
It is not the fish oil that would even get my suspicion up...it is the caplet form/ quality of the fish oil. If you are not taking a high quality oil you can do more harm than good. To be a caplet most companies (and I only know of one that does not) concentrate the tablet. To concentrate it you are changing the structure of something that was found naturally. You can't change something that was natural and make it better. That just does not work. And depending on the quality, the oil can be rancid before you ever even get it and then you are adding free radicals to your body. I could go on. Just saying be careful I guess.
Not saying that yours is not a good brand, I don't know what it is. My personal favorite bases on all aspects of quality, taste, etc. is Innate Choice.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
Tom Ellison

Profile:
I use Kirkland brand capsules, mostly because they're the one's recommended most often on this forum and I don't really know enough about the subject to compare brands myself.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
You can't change something that was natural and make it better.

That's not true. By cooking starch you change it into something that is digestable. Coconut milk that you buy in a can is far superior what you'd get by cracking open a coconut (try it sometime.) There are countles examples. All these new agey/ anti-technology generalizations are unrealiable.