CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
Dave Henry

Profile:
This is my first post so be kind. I searched and didnt find anything directly related.
Ive been doing crossfit for about a year(cert in dec) and haven't really had any issues until now, I have just started getting alot more strict on the zone, and everything is working out well for me, but due to a recent illness I lost alot of weight in a very short period, and i beleive it was mostly water weight.... and it got me thinking how much water should I be drinking?
typically I would say I have about 4L per day. I drink atleast 1L during or immeadiatly after the WOD. I know the general rule that my urine should be clear, but i take a multi-vitamin that makes it bright yellow no matter how much water I have!
thanks in advance
Dave
Old 01-05-2007, 04:21 AM   #2
Paul Symes

Profile:
There have been some big threads on hydration recently:

like this one

If you put the words hydration and tea into the search engine the ancient secrets will be revealed.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
Dave Henry

Profile:
I read that already and am still not convinced, but I guess I dont have that much to loose, and people have been drinking tea since time began. I just imeadiatly dismissed it because of caffine, but in reading further it seems interesting.
Is there a textbook answer to how much water to drink while on the zone?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Paul Symes

Profile:
Why should being on the Zone have anything to do with how much water you need to drink?

How about trying to do a search containing the just the words hydration or hydration and performance thus revealing other ancient secrets that don't involve tea.

By the way I think 4 litres is plenty.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Paul-- Easy on the kid. A little sarcastic and rude it seems to me.

Dave-- nothing textbook. 8-10 glasses a day is a good benchmark.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Paul Symes

Profile:
For God's sake Sam...

Lighten up will you? I was being jovial, for the last time - never again will I attempt to have a sense of humour while Big Sam the internet policeman is around

I did answer his question, what's your problem?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Dave:
8-10 glasses should be fine. There was something on the web about body weight to fluid intake ratios; if your bored, you could search Google.
:Welcome:
Old 01-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Dave,
If you lost a lot of weight in a very short time (and you're still alive), most of it was water.

4 liters/day should be fine.

Not all teas have caffeine--the best teas for hydration purposes are herbal teas (aka tisanes or teasans) and have no caffeine.

As for the multivitamin, don't worry about the urine color change (unless it keeps up all day long!).
Old 01-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Hone Watson

Profile:
Sometimes you can be low on sodium which makes it worth adding a pinch of celtic sea salt to your water.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Caffeine does not dehydrate (recent studies done), caffeine is an ergogenic aid...one of the better ones: “Caffeine, Body Fluid-Electrolyte Balance, and Exercise Performance,” published in the June 2002 issue of the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, researcher Lawrence E. Armstrong, a professor of exercise and environmental physiology at the University of Connecticut, found that caffeine is not the dehydrating demon some people believe. In fact, he concluded that caffeine is no more a diuretic than water. Supporting Armstrong’s findings is an American Journal of Physiology August 2002 review of the literature on hydration by Dr. Heinz Valtin that cites a University of Nebraska study, which found that caffeinated beverages may be counted toward the daily fluid total.

Armstrong’s analysis of the scientific literature that was focused on moderate amounts of caffeine (equivalent to one to four cups of coffee a day) indicates:

When consuming a caffeinated beverage, the body retains some of the fluid.
Moderate caffeine consumption causes a mild diuresis very similar to that of water (water, when consumed in large volume, increases urine output).
A person who regularly consumes caffeine has a higher tolerance to the diuretic effect.
There is no evidence that consumption of caffeinated beverages causes a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to health or exercise performance.

Work and family safe link:

http://www.humankinetics.com/products/journals/

Numerous studies have documented caffeine’s ergogenic effect on athletic performance, particularly in regard to endurance. Studies show that caffeine ingestion prior to exercising extended endurance in moderately strenuous aerobic activity. Other studies researching caffeine consumption on elite distance runners and distance swimmers show increased performance times following caffeine consumption.