CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #1
Brandon Oto

Profile:
It occurs to me that the block amounts we see around for Zone calculations are generally supposed to be for raw or cooked vegetables, not for frozen ones. Can anyone suggest a conversion to help get the right volume when measuring out frozen veggies (broccoli, say)?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:57 AM   #2
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
generally supposed to be for raw or cooked vegetables

conversion formula would be to cook them and then use zone calculations for cooked vegetables that you have.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
Kevin Burns

Profile:
One idea that might help. Is each time you measure out your veggies is to take a picture of the plate for each type of vegetable you use. You'll have a visual reference that will be easier than measuring and more useful in restaurants and eating out at friends houses.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Frozen veggies should weigh the same as fresh veggies(pretty close anyway, if there aren't any huge chunks of ice on there). They also have the same volume as fresh veggies.

Cooked the volume should be the same. I can't think of any veggies that get that much bigger or smaller.

Also, given the relative carb density of broccoli, the margin for error is pretty high.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Brandon Oto

Profile:
I suppose I'm comparing the frozen ones to how they look after cooking -- and they certainly are smaller then, after losing water and becoming softer. I guess I can just use the "raw" measurements, but for whatever reason the block charts floating around never really give raw amounts for everything, just for a few foods.

It'd be nice to cook and then measure, but the only way that makes sense is if you're making enormous batches then spreading them across several meals. Which isn't a bad idea. But I don't have much fridge space...
Old 04-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Maybe it's the quality of your frozen veggies. Try a different brand. There isn't an appreciable difference between my 2 cups of broccoli before and after steaming. Or maybe you're cooking the veggies too much. I usually put the water and frozen veggies into the steamer together, then turn the stove on. When it boils, my veggies are ready. Don't let them steam for more than necessary.