CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Yael Grauer

Profile:
raw milk article

I wrote an article about raw milk which has some basic information and a lot of resources, check it out... this is w/fs

http://www.dirttime.org/2008/07/10/some-like-it-raw/
Old 07-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: raw milk article

thanks. that was a good article and answered some questions for me.
what about goats milk? is that a decent sub. i would like raw milk but the only place that sells it is a bit far for me to go to constantly. as goats milk is at the store down the street.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Yael Grauer

Profile:

Glad you liked it!!

I don't know much about goat milk... I have heard pasteurized goat is better than pasteurized cow milk; I've never really tried raw goat milk here because the cost is prohibitive... Maybe someone else has researched it and can get back to us.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:43 AM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Thanks Yael, I too enjoyed that article and forwarded it to several others as well.

I believe Veronica Carpenter raises goats to supply her family with raw goat products!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Marco Pineda

Profile:

I'm not challenging the accuracy/validity of this article as a whole but:

"It is also impossible to make whey, yogurt and other fun products from homogenized milk."

is just patently wrong, at least for yogurt, which I make regularly with homogenized and pasteurized milk. In fact, to make yogurt successfully you need to pasteurize it yourself (by heating the milk on a stove) before inoculating with yogurt bacteria (you need to wait for the milk to cool first of course). This ensures any bacteria already in the milk won't compete with the yogurt bacteria.

The rest of the article may in fact be completely valid but untruths like this lend nothing to its credibility.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Brett,

Marleans Natureal Foods on 38th st in Tacoma sells Raw Jersey Cow Milk. Thier cows are fed grain but its better than safeway milk. I am currently investigating a few private sources of raw milk as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ericson View Post
Brett,

Marleans Natureal Foods on 38th st in Tacoma sells Raw Jersey Cow Milk. Thier cows are fed grain but its better than safeway milk. I am currently investigating a few private sources of raw milk as well.
i know i just dont want to drive all the way over there from near point defiance for milk 2 times a week. but i will be however stopping in there when im in the neighborhood.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
Yael Grauer

Profile:

Thanks for the info! I tried to make whey with pasteurized milk but of course it didn't separate, and I tried making yogurt but just got goop. Hmm! Will try it again to see if it was just a bad batch.

You can pasteurize it yourself but it's not necessary... I usually don't. Mercola's website has an article on making yogurt that also doesn't mention heating. Not that he's the be all and end all but for what it's worth.

If you're concerned about the article credibility, you may want to check out the 72-page power point I threw a link up for.

Brett--raw milk does freeze quite well!

Sarena, glad you liked it.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
Marco Pineda

Profile:

Yael,

Thanks, meant no disrespect. The article as a whole is very well written, thank you for writing it.

As for yogurt, heating, while not necessary, will ensure consistent results.

Goopy, do you mean as in slimy clumps? I got that early on. I figured out that I needed to whisk the yogurt starter quite well into the milk initially. Not sure why this fixed it, maybe the bacteria were better distributed, or the proteins were better distributed. In any case I get consistent product now.

Please note, I'm totally with you with the raw milk. I wish I could get my hands on some at a reasonable price and agree that it's a superior product. And, for those who haven't tried it, unpasteurized cheeses are fantastic. I'm lucky enough to live near NYC and if you do as well, you owe it to yourself to visit Murray's Cheese store and ask what they have as far as unpasteurized cheeses. They will let you taste (as any good cheese store will).
Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Scott Ponte

Profile:

Yael,

Where do you get your raw milk in Tucson? I'm tempted to try it, but its not worth a long drive to get it. Especailly with these gas prices.

And no, I'm not hardcore enough to go running for hours to grab up a gallon of raw milk :P