CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
John Seiler

Profile:
First, with due deference to Lynne, I hope I haven't chosen forums incorrectly as I'm not injured. I also wasn't able to find this specific question after an hour of searching the forum.

After 15 years of doing parallel to slightly-below-parallel Power Squats, I have found Crossfit and have started to add in front squats and snatch cleans. I've never had knee problems before but when going full range on those two movements, I experience intermitent sharp pains in my knees at the bottom of the movement that goes away as soon as I unload. It's not terribly painful but it's a bit unsettling. So, my question is whether a goodly portion of folks feel these type of knee tweaks while their knees adjust to the new style?

Thanks!
John Seiler
Old 01-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
John,

I realize this isn't directly answering your question but take a look at this link: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/18429.html

This past Sunday CrossFitDC was fortunate enough to have Coach Dan John there to give us a 2 hour Olympic lifting seminar. Take a look at #2 in the list.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hi John,
I think I'll throw this into the "Exercises" forum.

Good question!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
John,
I don't know if this will help you or not, but. When I do regular back squats my feet face straight ahead and I was very used to the way my knees properly tracked over the feet inline.

When I front squat or especially OHS (or snatch)my knees point out quite a bit more therefore my feet need to do the same. If my knees don't properly track the orientation of my feet I get knee pain.

This was an issue when learning to get comfortable with the movements after years of regular back squating. It is pretty automatic now. I hope it helps.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Thanks all.

I spoke to a USAW coach here in St. Louis I worked with a couple of years ago (we're trying to organize a seminar here in February). Offhand, he wondered if I wasn't moving too far forward on my feet. I think I may be.

I also received a response from someone who publishes a very well-respected strength journal. He says that this is common with the transition to the Oly lifts and can be helpled by proper warmup and stretching. It's also his observation that most people experience less pain in the knee with full-range lifting; especially for lifters over 40.