CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Just wanted some advice about what to feed a toddler (our 21 month old daughter) who has diarrhea and has been vomiting. She seems to be on the tail-end of this, whatever it might be, but she has had difficulty keeping food down. The reason I bring this to the Crossfit forum is that everyone, to include mothers, grandmothers, two doctors, and a nutritionist, recommended we feed our little girl bananas, rice, applesauce, and/or toast. Aren't these all pretty high in terms of glycemic index? I mean, typically, I avoid these foods being a Zone guy, but is this the best thing for our little girl when her stomach is upset? And where is she supposed to get protein? fat? Or will these just exacerbate the problem? As I mentioned, she is getting better, but I wonder for the next time she, or my son to be, gets sick.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Fluids are your number one concern. Got that covered, then pretty much whatever she will eat without causing too much stress.

We have an outbreak of Fifths going around here. One of my boys was just double barrell...did not eat anything substantial for 3 days. Then he asks me for:

A round flat cheezy egg and a dipping egg with toast. (This is a scrambled egg in the shape of the bottom of the pan with cheese on it and a fried egg) And he nailed it down. He is 4. I was impressed.

We all get enough food to starve for a few days...unless you are very young, without much reserve.

My only resume to offer this advice is being a dad x 4.

(Message edited by paul on January 27, 2006)
Old 01-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Sheila Gruenwald

Profile:
Michael,

I am not a doctor but I too am raising four kids. After the fluids are taken care of I would do the BRAT diet (Bananas, rice, apples and toast) If she asks for anything in particiular I would let her have it. Our bodies have an awesome way of telling us what they need. When she is feeling better then go back to the Zone....
in my humble opinion
sheila
Old 01-27-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
of course, you go with something to keep fluids and electrolytes in balance in the acute phase - when I was small it was flat ginger ale, diluted apple juice & salty broth - nowadays pedialyte.

Once you are feeding food again, part of the rationale for BRAT is that you want easy load on the digestive system and you get your electrolyes. Also, sometimes T is Tea not Toast in BRAT.
Similar logic to the clear liquid diet you get after abdominal surgery - all to not overwork a twitchy digestive system, esp. if you've been off solids for a day or two.

Of course kids tend to be more resilient than post-operative adults - so YMMV and you can just feed here what she wants. But if she doesn't "want" - BRAT should be fine. We aren't talking weeks here to worry over fat or protein. That said, I seem to remember soft scrambled eggs when recovering as a kid. Plus you normalize the diet over a few days, with things like poached chicken being next on the list to add.

(Message edited by LisaS on January 27, 2006)
Old 01-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Ditch the toast idea. Gluten is only going to irritate the GI system more. As for the (T)eas, I'd try some ginger tea, plenty of science behind the anti-nausea and anti-emetic properties of that.

Dr. G
Old 01-30-2006, 12:42 AM   #6
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Thanks a lot everyone. Our little girl is back to normal. Which is good for her, Mom, Dad, and our washing machine, which has been overwhelmed with soiled sheets and towels.