CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Michael Winker

Profile:
Infant nutrition

Okay, I searched around but couldn't find anything pertinent.

Any suggestions on feeding babies? I have a 4 month old who is breast feeding with formula supplementation. My wife wants to start introducing some single grains (rice, I believe) into the baby's diet. I'm a bit leary.

Does anyone have experiences or suggestions for me? Any help is appreciated.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Wink
Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Infant nutrition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Winker View Post
Okay, I searched around but couldn't find anything pertinent.

Any suggestions on feeding babies? I have a 4 month old who is breast feeding with formula supplementation. My wife wants to start introducing some single grains (rice, I believe) into the baby's diet. I'm a bit leary.

Does anyone have experiences or suggestions for me? Any help is appreciated.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Wink
A child doesn't need any food besides breast milk until 6 months of age.

When introducing foods to a baby, don't start with grains---they are more allergenic than veggies and fruits.

Cheapest and best way to start solids is to buy a hand held food mill or use a food processor, and buy fresh, local organic produce or frozen organic produce. Start with things like peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, and pears. Cook until soft in a bit of water, and then puree in your mill or food processor. Introduce ONE NEW FOOD at a time, and see if it agrees with your baby.

If you don't have time to make baby food out of your own food, the next best bet is to start with jars of organic baby food. I would not feed my baby conventionally raised products because babies are so susceptible to the harmful effects of pesticide residues.

Grains are the last thing to be introduced. If you feed your baby veggies and fruits from the get go, and don't expose your child to sugar and its derivatives, the baby will grow up with a taste for the foods that are nutritious.

Kudos to your wife for nursing! It's the best start for a baby.

Susie
Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

The best first food for babies is avocado. They love it and it supplies so much good fat too! When ready and baby is fine with banana or applesauce, mix that together with your avocado!! It even mixes well with carrots or zucchini etc. You get my drift. Why add cereals? Doctors recommend them cause they claim it helps baby sleep thru the night better!! My thoughts would be that most infants are up at night from teething regardless.

Good info here on feeding babes! And yeah kudos to your wife for breastfeeding and to you for researching the feeding options. Wait til at least 6 months as babies bellies are better able to handle addl nutrition then and also poses less problems for allergies down the line. Wait a week between each new food!

I breastfed for 19-27months each of my 4 kids and the eldest only had the breast til 1 year. He is now a dad himself!!

link wfs
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Leslie Powell

Profile:

Not to be argumentative, but I think every baby is going to be different. Despite our best efforts, our son has hated avocado from the get-go. The foods that he does like have often been very unexpected: salmon roe, pickled ginger, rye crispbread. Also hates applesauce and bananas (which is kind of frustrating). Loves sardines! Go figure...
Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Grant Scalf

Profile:

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/index.html#pg wfs

A plethora of information...
Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Powell View Post
Not to be argumentative, but I think every baby is going to be different. Despite our best efforts, our son has hated avocado from the get-go. The foods that he does like have often been very unexpected: salmon roe, pickled ginger, rye crispbread. Also hates applesauce and bananas (which is kind of frustrating). Loves sardines! Go figure...
He is one smart dude!! Btw, what did his Mommy eat a lot of during her pregnancy??
Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
Michael Winker

Profile:

Thanks everybody for your input. I appreciate the advice. Sounds like its gonna be veggies in the food processor.

Thanks again,

Wink