CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Mark McFarland

Profile:
tennis elbow?

I have been reading the past posts on tennis elbow, golfers elbow and elbow pain and have this question for folks who have experienced any/all of these:

My pain is acute when I grab a bar (bar is vertical) and attempt to move it. So, if the bar (45 lb) is leaning up against the wall and I grab and pick it up the pain is intense. Is this tennis or golfer's elbow?

Thx for any help - I've been laying off of pull-ups (pronated grip), pulls of all kinds and kb swings as these things can't be done without pain...

Any info/advice appreciated...
Old 11-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Re: tennis elbow?

Tendonitis in elbows is the bane of my life. I have a hefty dose at the moment. Mostly work related - digging, weeding, shovelling - all that sort of stuff. Then I try and do chins - ouch! Or pick up a weight and swing it - even more ouch.

With my last bad bout a year or so ago I tried everything. In the end I have to say I concur with my sports doc who said - they've shown that it takes up to about 18 months to go and what you do in the interim really has little impact on that time frame. I had a strap - it used to make everything else hurt after a while! I had anti-inflammatories, massage, physio, prolotherapy. It would relieve it for a while but it was always there. And then one day I noticed it wasn't there. But its back again -I'm on LSL - doing lots of everything that upsets it. That plus carpal tunnel is making sleep very difficult - any position other than on my back and my arm starts going numb.

Hope yours isn't too bad. Those straps take about 30% loading off the tendon - they do help but I found that wearing them all day out in the field for example made for so many other problems.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Mark McFarland

Profile:

Wow - I'm sorry to hear about your situation - mine has just gotten to this point about 2 mos ago...it feels like this is a long term (6 mos) situation...

GOod luck with yours...
Old 11-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Aileen Reid

Profile:

It probably depends on how much rest you can give it. I got mine from work and had to keep working. All the problems it gave me with weights was sort of peripheral but nevertheless annoying.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Rob McBee

Profile:

Sorry to hear about the elbow. I had it bad in both and it is frustrating. If you don't lay off any and everything that bothers it then it will get worse and/or take longer to go away. The 'doing nothing' is the frustrating part so don't. Actively rehab by icing it often. Rolling/massage with a tennis ball helped but don't aggravate it further. I also used some fancy rubberbands from ironmind.com called 'expand-a-hand' to work the extensors of the forearm. You can't really do anything though until the initial pain and inflammation dies down. Again, ICE IT and high dose the fish oil. Even if its all just a placebo effect, it will make you feel better mentally at least.

Once I finally got over it, after several months, I switched all my pullup work to rings only and haven't had a problem since. Work on other things(one-legged squats, GHD situps, various running work etc.. while you heal.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
Mark McFarland

Profile:

I really appreciate the responses to this - I'll heed the advice - lay off the pullups (all grips) and any pulls of any sort and just let it heal. I seem to be able to do dips - even weighted - with not ill effects - so will keep doing that and push-ups with handles - not flat handed.

The ice and massage and fish oil (will definitely try it) are all things I will try...

Much appreciated...
Old 12-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Xavier Iturriagagoitia

Profile:

Hello,

I also had quite some problems with my elbow. Resting didn't help, when I started again pain just came back.
Then docters gave me an eccentric-exercices program. This helped a great deal, and I was able to start lifting relative heavy again. But I somehow stopped doing those eccentrics. Pain wasn't totally gone (especially bicep work was a pain!)
Last week I realised I should start those eccentric exercices again. Right now it hurts less (but doing those eccentrics quite hurt)

I don't think there's good scientific proof that eccentrics help, but they sure do for me.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Aileen Reid

Profile:

When you massage just check your triceps as well, mine seem to tighten up really bad when my elbow is bad.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
Heather Archambeault

Profile:

KB snatches helped mine
Old 12-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Mark McFarland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Gilbertson View Post
KB snatches helped mine
So, the kb snatches were something you did while your elbow was healing - or they helped it heal?