CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Neil Buzick

Profile:
Lose weight with CF???

Hiya all-

I have performed CF for 2 weeks now. I'm 36/190lbs, and approx 28%bf.

When I complete a workout and come back to work, some co-workers asked how long it took me. Most CF workouts seem to last lss then 20 mins. When they hear that todays workout was 13 mins, I get comments like "haha..NO WAY can you lose weight and get fit with such short workouts."

Needless to say, it concerned me because they guy making the comment is somewhat an Adonis/model body/looks type of guy.

Despite the fact I LOVE the workouts and variety (the main reason I stay interested), I'm now doubting how I can go from 195 to 160 (back in early June I was 166 but got lazy FAST. I just got REAL sick of 50-60 steadt state cardio sessions AND 30 min weight workouts/5x/week.

So, is my concern about shourt duration CF workouts justified? Will it be enough to lose the weight (obviously coupled with proper eating)??
Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Lose weight with CF???

Great question, often asked.
Use the search function, read the Starting Here along with FAQ's
Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Proper weight loss is almost 80%+ diet. If your diet is good along with a good workout, the weight will drop off easily.

Other than that, metabolic conditioning is extremely effective for losing weight as is high intensity interval training or heavy lifting. CF is mostly the former although it incorporates various aspects of the latter two. So yes, if your diet is good and you are doing CF you can easily make your weight loss goals.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Diet and CF has led me to lose 30 pounds. Most of that like Steven said was nutrition oriented changes.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Kevin T Anderson

Profile:

43yo/150 pounds
I've been doing CF for 1 year. First six months I actually gained weight as I added muscle but body changed shape in a positive way. Pants became loose in the waist and overall I looked better.

Next six months I lost weight once I started the Zone. A month ago my bodyfat was ~7% down from 13% six months earlier.

The combination of CF w/o and zone diet will transform your body. Ignore adonis guy for a few months then challenge him to a CF WOD.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
James Anthony Slack

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Buzick View Post
Hiya all-

I have performed CF for 2 weeks now. I'm 36/190lbs, and approx 28%bf.

When I complete a workout and come back to work, some co-workers asked how long it took me. Most CF workouts seem to last lss then 20 mins. When they hear that todays workout was 13 mins, I get comments like "haha..NO WAY can you lose weight and get fit with such short workouts."

Needless to say, it concerned me because they guy making the comment is somewhat an Adonis/model body/looks type of guy.

Despite the fact I LOVE the workouts and variety (the main reason I stay interested), I'm now doubting how I can go from 195 to 160 (back in early June I was 166 but got lazy FAST. I just got REAL sick of 50-60 steadt state cardio sessions AND 30 min weight workouts/5x/week.

So, is my concern about shourt duration CF workouts justified? Will it be enough to lose the weight (obviously coupled with proper eating)??
6"3" 210lbs when I started CF three months ago. I was already working out about 10 hours a week (Cardio & Strength). Weighed 195 yesterday and CF takes me about 3 hours a week.
IT"S ALL YOU NEED.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Buzick View Post
Will it be enough to lose the weight (obviously coupled with proper eating)??
Proper eating will be key, but the intensity and variety of the CF workouts will go a very long way to helping you reach your goal.

Your co-worker is more than welcome to display his supreme athleticism by giving any of the benchmark workouts a shot ... I suggest Fran, simply because it's short and easy ... let us know how he makes out.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Michael Houghton

Profile:

I thought I'd throw in that since July 07, just basically calorie counting, I've dropped close to 40 lbs. It can definitely happen, especially if you're strict on your diet. When you go running past those fools you can just laugh in their faces. I love the comments I got last week about how I need to buy smaller clothes now, my old ones look too big on me. Keep with it!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #9
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

From one newbie to another:

I've lost 45# with diet and CrossFit (scaled workouts, BrandX pack mostly) in about 6 months. My diet change was significant: I stopped eating meat, and cut out 99% of all fast food (as a college student this made up about ... 99% of my diet!). I'm 5'9 150# now and am hoping to begin regaining in a positive way, though it's tough without a significant source of protein in the diet outside of supplements.

I'm by no means a pro, and all of the Girls still have my number ... one day I will have theirs ... but I know I'm more fit than half of the meatheads at a gym I used to go to, whose measure of overall fitness is actually made with measuring tape.

Keep at it, and you'll be able to show this "adonis" what a crossfitter looks like.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
Eric Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
...My diet change was significant: I stopped eating meat, and cut out 99% of all fast food (as a college student this made up about ... 99% of my diet!). I'm 5'9 150# now and am hoping to begin regaining in a positive way, though it's tough without a significant source of protein in the diet outside of supplements.
Just curious why you cut out meat? Vegan?