CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
Graham Spell

Profile:
Wright Rack

Looking to purchase a squat rack for my garage. Wright Exercise has one for $199.99. Is that a quality rack?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Scott Ichiiwa

Profile:
Re: Wright Rack

ive been looking hard at it too. any info would be great
Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

I haven't used the Wright rack. I can say that I own the York squat stands, and I would avoid them. I bought them because they were some of the least expensive and they have uprights for benching. They take forever to adjust. Forever. It's fine at my house because my husband and I can squat and bench from the same height, but they would be a disaster at a gym where they needed to be adjusted frequently and quickly. I have used Rogue's squat stands, and I love them.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
James Orr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I have used Rogue's squat stands, and I love them.
I'm so happy I went with Rogue's over the York. The York was what was in my cart initially.

The good news is that Rogue's offering their stands less expensively now thanks to in-house manufacturing. There's NO reason not to get them!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I'm so happy I went with Rogue's over the York. The York was what was in my cart initially.

The good news is that Rogue's offering their stands less expensively now thanks to in-house manufacturing. There's NO reason not to get them!
Yes, I saw that. Sigh. It really isn't a big deal because I don't adjust my York ones at home often. But, my training partner is only 5'2, and that makes it better that we usually train at the gym together. As soon as I think about adjusting my York stands, I get annoyed.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Adam Dunn

Profile:

I have the Wright Rack in my garage gym and like it a lot. It was the cheapest rack I could find, and it was even better since I picked it up (along with bumpers) from their warehouse when I drove through Birmingham.

Pros: Price. It's not fancy but it's highly good enough for a great price.

Cons: I don't like that the posts to hold weights behind the feet don't work well for bumpers. I also had to take some sandpaper and WD-40 to the "boy end" up the uppers before they fit well and adjusted easily into the "girl end" receivers. No big deal but wasn't manufactured perfectly out of the box.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase; if I had to do it again I'd still get the Wright Rack because it saved me over $100 on comparable racks and I used that to get more bumpers. Pic is the rack in action in my gym with the Rogue Bar on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	7389  
Old 01-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Scott Ichiiwa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dunn View Post
I have the Wright Rack in my garage gym and like it a lot. It was the cheapest rack I could find, and it was even better since I picked it up (along with bumpers) from their warehouse when I drove through Birmingham.

Pros: Price. It's not fancy but it's highly good enough for a great price.

Cons: I don't like that the posts to hold weights behind the feet don't work well for bumpers. I also had to take some sandpaper and WD-40 to the "boy end" up the uppers before they fit well and adjusted easily into the "girl end" receivers. No big deal but wasn't manufactured perfectly out of the box.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase; if I had to do it again I'd still get the Wright Rack because it saved me over $100 on comparable racks and I used that to get more bumpers. Pic is the rack in action in my gym with the Rogue Bar on top.
interesting. what is wrong with how the posts work with bumpers? not enough room?
how is it for racking really heavy weight, as in when you place the bar with a little authority? does the rack wobble alot?
is it easy to adjust?

thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Wrights look pretty sturdy for the price.

There are some cheaper options but I think they are cheaper in quality as well:

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....w-all-products

Those are quite a few choices. If anyone has any critique of the cheaper ones, let us know.

-Bob
Old 01-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Jason Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dunn View Post
I have the Wright Rack in my garage gym and like it a lot.

Cons: I don't like that the posts to hold weights behind the feet don't work well for bumpers.
All, this issue has been corrected and now accommodates bumpers.

Thanks,

Jason Hughes
jason@wrightrubber.com
www.wrightrubber.com
Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
Adam Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ichiiwa View Post
interesting. what is wrong with how the posts work with bumpers? not enough room?
how is it for racking really heavy weight, as in when you place the bar with a little authority? does the rack wobble alot?
is it easy to adjust?

thanks
When the weight slides down on the posts it hits the floor/bottom of the rack before it reaches the end of the post. Kinda hard to explain but if you saw it in person it would make sense. Not a big deal...my weights are stored on the floor anyways but just an observation.

I'm not super-strong so I haven't had to rack any "really heavy weight," but I've never had a problem with wobbling or anything. In terms of adjusting the height, they're really easy to adjust now that I applied sandpaper and WD-40 liberally. Before that they were literally stuck in the full-down position for about 2 days until I could pry the uppers out of the lowers. No big deal since I didn't pay for ultra-precise manufacturing, and nothing a little low-tech and elbow grease didn't fix.

Overall it's a good rack for the money and the guys at wright were real nice to me when I rolled though and bought it plus some bumpers.