CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Charles White

Profile:
The Crew: Snatch Balance

Thanks for looking at these. Individual critique and anything across the board that I'm teaching wrong or missing.

Peter, 35#
I've been working on all forms of Peter's squat. The big thing I see here is Peter moving forward coming up out of the bottom. Any good cues you can think of for this?

Stephanie, 35#
Stephanie is just recently out of the Onramp program. She needs more OHS I think.

Kirsten, 40#
Kirsten did better with 45#. Here the weight is pulling her forward. Is the elbow position at the setup to blame here?

Sarah, 55#
Sarah is also recently out of the Onramp program. More squatting, I think.

Meg, 60#
Meg is following the weight down. What do you recommend to work on getting right into the bottom position?

Charles 75# I'm also catching it a bit high. Not as bad as the last time I tried this.

Best fail, for your
entertainment viewing!

Thanks again, folks for checking us out.

Ciao,

Charles
Old 10-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Nate Napolitano

Profile:
Re: The Crew: Snatch Balance

For Peter, it looked like he bunny hopped into the snatch balance. He needs to get much more aggressive in the initial drive.

Stephanie doesn't get to parallel and it looks like she is just pushpressing the bar overhead from behind her head and attempting a front squat. Could be flexibility issue with the light weight or maybe just not balanced on that particular lift. She has to drop herself underneath the bar at the same rate she's pushing it overhead ideally, otherwise it looks like the pp/ohs combo.

Besides Kirsten not getting parallel and the bar drifting a bit forward, her's looks the best so far, aggressive dip and drive and drops herself underneath the bar pretty well.

Sarah... well someone with more knowledge of the snatch and how to coach it should put their advice here.

Meg's looked good, could get more aggressive on the dip and drive but she's ready for more weight on the bar.

Charles' was the best. He was aggressive on the drive and dropped underneath the weight well.

If you have a subscription to the Journal check out the videos of Coach B and Dave Lipson and Nadia. Most, if not all of the video is centered around them snatch balancing so maybe you can pick up some visual cues there and some coaching tips as well. If you don't have a subscription you should look into it.
18/5'8/160#BS: 300 DL: 425 PC: 215 FS: 240 Fran: 4:14
My Log Level 1 Certified
Old 10-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Justin Keane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles White View Post
Thanks for looking at these. Individual critique and anything across the board that I'm teaching wrong or missing.

Peter, 35#
I've been working on all forms of Peter's squat. The big thing I see here is Peter moving forward coming up out of the bottom. Any good cues you can think of for this?

Stephanie, 35#
Stephanie is just recently out of the Onramp program. She needs more OHS I think.

Kirsten, 40#
Kirsten did better with 45#. Here the weight is pulling her forward. Is the elbow position at the setup to blame here?

Sarah, 55#
Sarah is also recently out of the Onramp program. More squatting, I think.

Meg, 60#
Meg is following the weight down. What do you recommend to work on getting right into the bottom position?

Charles 75# I'm also catching it a bit high. Not as bad as the last time I tried this.

Best fail, for your
entertainment viewing!

Thanks again, folks for checking us out.

Ciao,

Charles
Hi Charles,
I think it's great that you film and post all of your folks doing all kinds of stuff. Kudos to them as well for being good sports about being online and getting some virtual coaching.

In order:
1) Peter--weight is forward from the getgo. Watch his toes and more importantly, watch the bar on his back in relation to his center of gravity as he begins his dip. I wouldn't worry about his recovery/ascent until you fix that issue. I think he may just need a steady diet of back and ohs to work his midline stability and confidence under a bar.

2) Stephanie--also too far forward from the start. But--and I know you asked specifically for critiques on these movements--I honestly wouldn't have her doing snatch balances for 1RM yet, not with as much room for improvement on the ohs. I'd have her do 3x15 of ohs with a pvc pipe before every workout as part of her warmup, and then move to a 15 lb bar.

3) Kirsten's got a lot of the building blocks (aggressive enough dip and drive, as the commenter before noted) but the weight's too heavy for now. I'd like to see her hitting ohs at that weight for reps across before she attempts a snatch balance again.

4) Sarah's setup looks a touch wide and she's coming forward as well. But like Stephanie, I'd have her mainlining PVC OHS and then the 15 lb bar until she demonstrates confidence and proficiency with that movement. Like Stephanie, I don't think she needs to be working the snatch balance right now.

5) Meg's was the best. Back on her heels, clearly gets the concept of dip and drive. Now...tell her to get mean and nasty with it. She's strong and flexible enough to handle that weight with a lot more speed and precision...tell her you want to see her nail that bottom before you move up in weight.

6) Charles--pretty good. I actually loved your aggression dropping into the hole best, but I suspect some flexibility and/or confidence issues might be holding you back from a deeper drop and a better lift. I'd keep working that weight range, and I'd do 2-3 OHS after each snatch balance to really grease the groove (of descent and ascent).

Hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Charles White

Profile:

Nate, Justin,

Thanks so much for plowing through our lot. I've sent a link to this thread to all of them. They get a lot out of your critiques. Me too. I'll go back to their videos with your critiques in mind.

Thanks again, well done!

Ciao,

Charles