CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
R B

Profile:

A question about the Paleo Diet

I don't understand the problem with dairy, human milk is very similar to cow's milk.

Thanks

Last edited by R B; 10-20-2010 at 08:26 PM..
Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: A question about the Paleo Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmond Burke View Post
I don't understand the problem with dairy, human milk is very similar to cow's milk.

Thanks
The problem is that many adult humans aren't good at digesting milk, from either humans or cows.

Katherine
Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Scott Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
The problem is that many adult humans aren't good at digesting milk, from either humans or cows.
yea

My understanding is that we naturally create an enzyme required to break down lactose(sugar from milk) but only for the first part of childhood. When a child starts eating solid food and stops drinking mom's milk the enzyme is no longer produced.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
Peter Rocchio

Profile:

Depends fairly heavily on genetics. I live in Norway and Scandinavian people are very good at producing lactase (enzyme that breaks down lactose) into adulthood.

There are pockets of people around the world, mostly in Europe, where populations have a mutation that allows them to keep producing the enzyme. It seems to be far more common in colder areas where farming isn't terribly efficient but ranching is (like Norway).

My family, as far as I know, is from nothern Italy and I can digest milk pretty readily. If I haven't had milk in a while and I just down a whole liter of the stuff I will have a bit of trouble, but then your body just ramps up lactase production as a result.

So, try drinking it and try not drinking it. See how you feel.

Last edited by Peter Rocchio; 10-21-2010 at 01:58 AM..
Old 10-21-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Similar <> same
Old 10-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:

Thanks

That's cool, go pour yourself an icy cold glass of human breast milk to enjoy with dinner.

I kid, but I really don't.

Mammal milk is designed to make mammal babies (of the same species) very big, very fast. A baby cow grows to 1000-2000 pounds in two years drinking cows milk. Think about that. Good if you want to gain weight. Bad if you want to lose it.

Also, regardless of whether you can process dairy or not....industrial milk in this country is just disgusting. If you can tolerate it, stick to raw/unpasteurized/whole milk.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Humans are the only animal that consumes another animal's milk (except for the occasional freak occurence of cross species adoption), whats in a given animal's milk tends to be very specific to the growth needs of their species.

Whether you are able to notice it or not, milk is only meant (by our body) to be consumed during infancy, basically everyone who continues to consume it past the age of 3-5 develops some level of lactose intolerance, because the body loses the ability to metabolize lactose at that point. Some people have no dramatic issues, but either way your body is likely to have some inflammatory response to consuming milk as an adult.

With even a small amount of research you will find the info I gave above repeated over an over again as the most significant reasons not to drink milk, but more and more there are becoming great concerns over the hormones used in milk production and their impact as well. Heres a good overview of potential issues you could take against milk:
http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/...o-my-patients/ (WFS)
Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
That's cool, go pour yourself an icy cold glass of human breast milk to enjoy with dinner.
Cambodian is the best, IMO
Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

"With even a small amount of research you..."

lol, that would require effort.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Dmitriy Zavyalov

Profile:

Are we talking strictly whole milk or fat free/skim type dairy products as well?