CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
Todd Crawford

Profile:
But, but, they're so big....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/b...hschool-274799 (wfs)
Old 10-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: But, but, they're so big....

Just one more proof that we have become a nation of powder puffs. The headmaster should be whipped.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

You know Boise State is outweighed by nearly every major school they play but they still win.

Air Force was horribly outweighed by OU but they took them to the wire.

Sheesh.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

How dare that school be concerned about the safety of its students and keep them from being crushed by 300 lb linemen? What a travesty. Of course they should risk serious injury in a playground sport before they reach adulthood.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
You know Boise State is outweighed by nearly every major school they play but they still win.

Air Force was horribly outweighed by OU but they took them to the wire.

Sheesh.
Navy/Notre Dame as well. Navy has even (gasp) won a few of late.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
How dare that school be concerned about the safety of its students and keep them from being crushed by 300 lb linemen? What a travesty. Of course they should risk serious injury in a playground sport before they reach adulthood.
Seriously? It's a contact sport they could just as easily be injured playing against players their own size. Football teams that win do not do so because they are bigger, they do so because they work harder and never give up. My high school team went undefeated my junior year and lost 2 games by a total of 4 points my senior year. We didn't have a player on the field that went over 200 lbs. We crushed teams with players MUCH biger than us, because we knew we were at a disadvantage and were willing to work harder to overcome that. These kids will not get that opportunity. They will not learn that hard work can even the playing field against someone who is geneticly gifted. What will happen the next time that the math club faces a school that has students that are smarter than them? Will they not compete because their feelings may get crushed by the kids who know more than them? High school sports are about building character and learning that hard work pays off. It's not about not even trying because you "think" someone is superior.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Joe C Thomas

Profile:

I certainly agree with the fact that these kids are being taught that quitting is a reasonable option. That part of the situation is appauling and ridiculous!

However, I think there is more going on here than just having 3 big offensive lineman. It sounds like the other schools are concerned with one school recruiting players and questioning training techniques. Seems like we're not getting the whole story.

At the end of the day though, you stand on that field and take your licks just like everybody else, you don't just walk out because you don't like your chances.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Before any more of you go all "HARD WORK!!!" moralistic/ballistic on us, from what I've read this incident isn't so much about the size or safety of the players, but rather some sort of protest about the disparity between schools in this particular high-school league, where you have two football programs aggressively recruiting (and churning out Div I college players) and beating all the other teams (from schools with less of a focus on sports) by 20+ points each game.

The team that forfeited didn't have a chance in hell, which doesn't mean they shouldn't have played the game anyway. The size differential/safety issue seems more like a good excuse than a real concern. I don't know how things were presented to the players, but I doubt that they will now live their lives crippled by the notion that quitting is an option. Which it is, anyhow.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C Thomas View Post
I certainly agree with the fact that these kids are being taught that quitting is a reasonable option. That part of the situation is appauling and ridiculous!

However, I think there is more going on here than just having 3 big offensive lineman. It sounds like the other schools are concerned with one school recruiting players and questioning training techniques. Seems like we're not getting the whole story.

At the end of the day though, you stand on that field and take your licks just like everybody else, you don't just walk out because you don't like your chances.
Yeah, it seems to me that the team doesn't really belong in that league. However, I would think this isn't the time of year to raise that issue. The headmaster/athletic director should have raised that issue before the season started, since it seems to be an annually-consistent thing.

Bottom line, I think it's perfectly acceptable to say that your team isn't matched and it's risking the safety of the children. But doing it the week before the game is lame.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Crawford View Post
Seriously? It's a contact sport they could just as easily be injured playing against players their own size. Football teams that win do not do so because they are bigger, they do so because they work harder and never give up. My high school team went undefeated my junior year and lost 2 games by a total of 4 points my senior year. We didn't have a player on the field that went over 200 lbs. We crushed teams with players MUCH biger than us, because we knew we were at a disadvantage and were willing to work harder to overcome that. These kids will not get that opportunity. They will not learn that hard work can even the playing field against someone who is geneticly gifted. What will happen the next time that the math club faces a school that has students that are smarter than them? Will they not compete because their feelings may get crushed by the kids who know more than them? High school sports are about building character and learning that hard work pays off. It's not about not even trying because you "think" someone is superior.

Man, I'm having flashbacks even responding to this. I believe you were an excellent football player on an excellent team. I believe football is a GREAT way to learn important life lessons, and it set you and everyone you know up for success.

Nobody gets hurt by 300 pound linemen in math club. That coach made the right call.