CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
Todd Crawford
Member Todd Crawford is offline
 
Todd Crawford's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 609
But, but, they're so big....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/b...hschool-274799 (wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
Jason Wallis
Member Jason Wallis is offline
 
Jason Wallis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marshfield  MO
Posts: 1,182
Re: But, but, they're so big....

Just one more proof that we have become a nation of powder puffs. The headmaster should be whipped.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
Jason R O'Dell
Banned Jason R O'Dell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moore  OK
Posts: 3,396
Re: But, but, they're so big....

You know Boise State is outweighed by nearly every major school they play but they still win.

Air Force was horribly outweighed by OU but they took them to the wire.

Sheesh.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: But, but, they're so big....

How dare that school be concerned about the safety of its students and keep them from being crushed by 300 lb linemen? What a travesty. Of course they should risk serious injury in a playground sport before they reach adulthood.
__________________
Experience is a hard teacher because they gives the test first, and the lessons afterwards. - Vernon Sanders Law
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Blaine Cardinale
Member Blaine Cardinale is offline
 
Blaine Cardinale's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Panama City  FL
Posts: 134
Re: But, but, they're so big....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
You know Boise State is outweighed by nearly every major school they play but they still win.

Air Force was horribly outweighed by OU but they took them to the wire.

Sheesh.
Navy/Notre Dame as well. Navy has even (gasp) won a few of late.
__________________
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." ~Shane Falco/ CF Level 1 Cert
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Todd Crawford
Member Todd Crawford is offline
 
Todd Crawford's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 609
Re: But, but, they're so big....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
How dare that school be concerned about the safety of its students and keep them from being crushed by 300 lb linemen? What a travesty. Of course they should risk serious injury in a playground sport before they reach adulthood.
Seriously? It's a contact sport they could just as easily be injured playing against players their own size. Football teams that win do not do so because they are bigger, they do so because they work harder and never give up. My high school team went undefeated my junior year and lost 2 games by a total of 4 points my senior year. We didn't have a player on the field that went over 200 lbs. We crushed teams with players MUCH biger than us, because we knew we were at a disadvantage and were willing to work harder to overcome that. These kids will not get that opportunity. They will not learn that hard work can even the playing field against someone who is geneticly gifted. What will happen the next time that the math club faces a school that has students that are smarter than them? Will they not compete because their feelings may get crushed by the kids who know more than them? High school sports are about building character and learning that hard work pays off. It's not about not even trying because you "think" someone is superior.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Joe C Thomas
Member Joe C Thomas is offline
 
Joe C Thomas's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spanish Fort  AL
Posts: 1,071
Re: But, but, they're so big....

I certainly agree with the fact that these kids are being taught that quitting is a reasonable option. That part of the situation is appauling and ridiculous!

However, I think there is more going on here than just having 3 big offensive lineman. It sounds like the other schools are concerned with one school recruiting players and questioning training techniques. Seems like we're not getting the whole story.

At the end of the day though, you stand on that field and take your licks just like everybody else, you don't just walk out because you don't like your chances.
__________________
My Training Log
My blog: Joe's Fitness Bucket List My PRs: Joe's Peppers
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
Ewen Roth
Member Ewen Roth is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Geneva  Switzerland
Posts: 205
Re: But, but, they're so big....

Before any more of you go all "HARD WORK!!!" moralistic/ballistic on us, from what I've read this incident isn't so much about the size or safety of the players, but rather some sort of protest about the disparity between schools in this particular high-school league, where you have two football programs aggressively recruiting (and churning out Div I college players) and beating all the other teams (from schools with less of a focus on sports) by 20+ points each game.

The team that forfeited didn't have a chance in hell, which doesn't mean they shouldn't have played the game anyway. The size differential/safety issue seems more like a good excuse than a real concern. I don't know how things were presented to the players, but I doubt that they will now live their lives crippled by the notion that quitting is an option. Which it is, anyhow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: But, but, they're so big....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C Thomas View Post
I certainly agree with the fact that these kids are being taught that quitting is a reasonable option. That part of the situation is appauling and ridiculous!

However, I think there is more going on here than just having 3 big offensive lineman. It sounds like the other schools are concerned with one school recruiting players and questioning training techniques. Seems like we're not getting the whole story.

At the end of the day though, you stand on that field and take your licks just like everybody else, you don't just walk out because you don't like your chances.
Yeah, it seems to me that the team doesn't really belong in that league. However, I would think this isn't the time of year to raise that issue. The headmaster/athletic director should have raised that issue before the season started, since it seems to be an annually-consistent thing.

Bottom line, I think it's perfectly acceptable to say that your team isn't matched and it's risking the safety of the children. But doing it the week before the game is lame.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: But, but, they're so big....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Crawford View Post
Seriously? It's a contact sport they could just as easily be injured playing against players their own size. Football teams that win do not do so because they are bigger, they do so because they work harder and never give up. My high school team went undefeated my junior year and lost 2 games by a total of 4 points my senior year. We didn't have a player on the field that went over 200 lbs. We crushed teams with players MUCH biger than us, because we knew we were at a disadvantage and were willing to work harder to overcome that. These kids will not get that opportunity. They will not learn that hard work can even the playing field against someone who is geneticly gifted. What will happen the next time that the math club faces a school that has students that are smarter than them? Will they not compete because their feelings may get crushed by the kids who know more than them? High school sports are about building character and learning that hard work pays off. It's not about not even trying because you "think" someone is superior.

Man, I'm having flashbacks even responding to this. I believe you were an excellent football player on an excellent team. I believe football is a GREAT way to learn important life lessons, and it set you and everyone you know up for success.

Nobody gets hurt by 300 pound linemen in math club. That coach made the right call.
__________________
Experience is a hard teacher because they gives the test first, and the lessons afterwards. - Vernon Sanders Law
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A big hello Dale Amyotte Starting 4 11-30-2008 01:50 PM
How big is too big? Meghan LeBlanc Running a CrossFit Facility 7 09-24-2008 07:38 PM
really big KB Nathan Sobczak Equipment 7 04-29-2008 08:26 PM
how big have you gotten?? Chad Arlington Starting 37 10-10-2007 07:29 AM
Big PR!! Josh Everett Testimonials 6 01-08-2006 02:25 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:55 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.