CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Dawn Elsea

Profile:
Droid vs. Iphone

Looking for recommendation on iphone…or droid. Downloading crossfit videos is one of the main features/criteria I am looking for. Video capabilities also important. Do not use phone much for talking but would be using phone more for other features like texting and internet access. Thoughts.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: Droid vs. Iphone

Just spent some time with a friend who hates his Droid.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Nate Napolitano

Profile:

I have an iPhone and I love it for the most part but AT&T is a pretty ****ty service provider, at least where I live, the battery life leaves a bit to be desired, and at times you can't stream video right from the web. However, if you download the vids to your computer and transfer them through iTunes you can put them on the phone, thats what I do. Most people that I know who have a droid love it so I'm sure you'd be happy with your choice either way.
18/5'8/160#BS: 300 DL: 425 PC: 215 FS: 240 Fran: 4:14
My Log Level 1 Certified
Old 08-23-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I'm waiting to get ANdroid 2.2 OS which support Adobe flash moble. You should be able to watch videos online just like you can at home.

I've had the Doid X for about 3 weeks and I like it. Took me bit to get used to it thought (first smart phone). I had a problem with it, a row of dead touch across the top of the screeen about 1/8 deep. I took it into the verzion store. 20 minutes I left with a new droid X on the way to my house. Most of the that was the technicin trying different things. No hassle, no arguing just, "let me try this and that, still broken? let me get this right out to you."
Old 08-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I've got a droid and several of my friends have Iphones. From a functional standopint they're basically the same thing. The interface is different, so if you like the way Apple arranges their buttons go with them. I like to be able to customize the GUI so the droid works better for me. The one really big difference, as stated above, is the carrier. In my area at least, Verizon is orders of magnitude better than ATT.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Jason Wallis

Profile:

I have an iphone, but agree that verizon's network is waaay better than att. For that reason alone, droid wins.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

I own the original Droid for Verizon, and I love it. I'm not anti-Apple, but here are some reasons I would think of for buying an I-phone:

1) You love some particular apple-only software that you can only get on i-phone
2) AT&T is better in your area than Verizon.

Other than that, they are really the same freakin' phones. Until the Iphone 4 came along, Android screens were an order of magnitude better than Iphone's, but now its a wash.

I'd pick a phone based on the network first, then any features you want (physical keyboard? better camera? particular screen size? etc).

I have Android 2.2 on my Droid, and it supports flash, and works well. I don't have a vast mp3 library, but I can synch it to my computer using various programs if I wanted to.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Scott Stevens

Profile:

If you have a mac at home, the integration of the iphone to mac is pretty solid. Other than that, it's the difference between a mac and a pc. It'll get you to the same place, just in a different way
Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

I'm not in the market for a smartphone, but I did have a friend who reviewed a Droid on his Facebook profile. He wasn't a big fan (and an iPhone user, so the review may have had some bias).

That being said, it did finally give me the opportunity to say "This isn't the droid you're looking for!" in context.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Andrew D White

Profile:

I'm learning how to build apps for the droid platform right now.

It seems pretty solid and is just shaking some teething bugs out right now. I think it'll be solid in another month or so of updates. And, I'm a pretty hardcore Apple user.