CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
John Ponzetti

Profile:
Todays WOD called for hang cleans. Never having done those before, I watched the video's. I worked up to 150#, but I did not drop down into a low squat. Any tips for that? In health clubs they drill it into you, to make the movements slow. Feel the tension. Then I try to do an explosive movement, and I have a hard time with it.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Dan Snyder

Profile:
John, best would be to get some live coaching. I have the same issue and I'll be working on it this coming weekend at the local Crossfit affiliate during an oly lifting seminar. Second is to post a vid of your technique in the Digital Coaching area of this board. There are also several other good oly lifting boards out there where you can see and read about what folks are doing.

Four I like are these:
http://www.mikesgym.org/index.php
http://danjohn.org/gramp.html
http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/
http://www.weightliftingexchange.com/index.php

Tons of excellent info and knowledgable people here and elsewhere. Read. Do. Cheers
Old 03-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Get a medicine ball and work with the timing of the catch. The best lifters can make an empty bar look like 120 kilos and 120 kilos look like and empty bar. With too much weight you will hesitate to get down deep but with a medicine ball you will race it down. Work on getting that full triple extension and then plummet down so that you get under the ball before it has a chance to drop.

Once back on the bar lighten the load for crying out loud. You don't want weight yet, you want correct technique and you don't do that with heavy lifting efforts. Video tape yourself and send it in to the technique gurus like Lincoln who who can evaluate your performance.

If possible nothing at all beats personal coaching. But until such time as you can get that, get some video and let the experts check you out.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Here's my demo of a hang power clean followed by a hang squat clean:
http://crossfitsedona.com/Videos/Han...SquatClean.mov
Old 03-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #5
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
Is it normal to be able to power clean more weight from the floor than from the hang position?

Thanks Lincoln for the video.

I really like your idea of putting colored tape on the black bumpers, much cheaper than the colored bumpers.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Dan-

Yes. Cleaning from the floor allows you to give the bar a little more momentum going into the second pull.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Some folks, especially those with a flawed first pull or negligible double knee bend, can clean more from the hang position then from the floor. For these people, the hang position allows them to get the bar into better position and/or with a deeper double knee bend for the pull than they would get from the floor.

I'm guessing that most elite lifters can lift from the hang about 80-100% of their max from the floor.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
John Ponzetti

Profile:
Dan, I also can clean more from the floor, than the hang. My problem with cleans is in my legs. I do it more as a power clean or a hang power clean. I can't drop down into that low, low squat position. I have been working on OHS, with just a bar or 10's on it. Trying to get use to going that low.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Front squats, lots of them. A squat clean is not much more than an explosive deadlift right into the bottom position of a front squat.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
Rene Renteria

Profile:
John, I have the same problem. I found that I'm still pulling when I should be dropping under the bar. I'm too slow to switch. Thinking of "flipping my elbows" under the bar helped for speed. It really is "BANG!"; it has to happen NOW.

The second cue that helped me was "stomp". By asking yourself to stomp, your body does the prep work to get there. That prep work is the proper finishing of the jump/second pull.

To stomp, you have to "jump". If you have a barbell in your hands, the jump isn't necessarily very high because of the weight (and doesn't have to be). You and your body can feel this, and you end up being faster to the stomp phase (landing, which is also the same as getting under the bar) because you have to be. It helps shut off that portion of your brain that is consciously trying to keep pulling that heavy weight up with your arms. To do that, it knows that it has to be connected to the ground. If you disconnect this, you "fall" to the ground, and if you're still pulling, you'll get there even faster ("pulling yourself under the bar"), which is good. So you're trying to disconnect the idea of pulling the bar off the ground, which means you have to have your feet and legs pushing up to do it, as fast as possible, like a switch.

The idea of stomp (which is really jump/stomp, otherwise how can you stomp?) makes this switch unconscious and fast instead of conscious and slow. You'll see people's legs come up off the ground in a crouch or tuck jump (like in Lincoln's video) because you end up being faster than the weight is, meaning it's still "weightless" from the momentum you've imparted to it and hasn't come down much yet. As the weight gets heavier, that time and distance get shorter. If you look at Dan John's avatar of Dimas, you'll see that his feet barely lift off the floor, basically just unweighting and sliding a bit. That's the goal, if you're trying to lift the heaviest weight you can. It may sound odd, but give it a try (with lighter weights to start). At least, that's how it seems to me; I'm still learning.

Good luck!
Rene'