CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Bumper Plates and Bar

I want to buy some bumper plates and a bar to use at my house. I've searched around on here and the net but I am confused as to which brand to get. I want to get either a 230lb or 260lb set and so far Wright has the cheapest price at $275 for a 230lb set (don't think shipping is included). http://www.wrightexercise.com/230-po...set-p-826.html (wfs). However, I was reading past threads and people have commented on how the 10 and 25lb plates from Wright warp when you drop them. I've also heard good things about these plates. Obviously I want to get a solid set for a good price, so I am questioning the cheapness of the price due to the mixed reviews.

Rogue is known for having indestructable bumpers, but they are more costly at $395.50 and $436 for a 230lb and 260lb set respectively. I know the extra cost is for the better quality, but I want to make sure that either set is the best bang for the buck despite the higher price.

I'v checked out Wright, Pendlay, Rogue, GarageGym, and VS Training so far. Are there any other notable brands to check out? Any comments on the ones I've checked out so far (personal experience)?

Also, I've read to not mix and match bars and bumper plates because some bumper plates have a bigger hole than others and result in the pI'lates not fitting snug on the bar. So should I get the bar and bumper plates from the same supplier?

Sorry for all the questions, I have been looking around and seeing alot of contrasting opinions, except when it comes to Rogue's products. I plan on using these for both oly and powerlifting, if it makes any difference.

Last edited by Joe Bernard; 06-20-2009 at 12:41 PM..
Old 06-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Sheldon Danley

Profile:
Re: Bumper Plates and Bar

Hey Joe...I just got a quote on a set of 45 lb'ers and 25 lb'ers from York Barbell and was very impressed with their pricing. I'm going to be picking them up next weekend when I venture back home to Central PA so I can't comment on the quality yet. I noticed you're in Malvern so it's not a terribly far trip to save some coin. I actually just moved from Ardmore to Newtown Square so if you ever plan to purchase more stuff in the future, maybe we should try to make a bulk order? Also, if you are ever interested in getting together for a WOD let me know.

If/When you contact York make sure you tell them you are a CrossFitter and ask about the discount. I contacted Allison Foreman who had another thread on here very recently about York products at the Games this year.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Jared Ray

Profile:

Get steel inserts.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Danley View Post
Hey Joe...I just got a quote on a set of 45 lb'ers and 25 lb'ers from York Barbell and was very impressed with their pricing. I'm going to be picking them up next weekend when I venture back home to Central PA so I can't comment on the quality yet. I noticed you're in Malvern so it's not a terribly far trip to save some coin. I actually just moved from Ardmore to Newtown Square so if you ever plan to purchase more stuff in the future, maybe we should try to make a bulk order? Also, if you are ever interested in getting together for a WOD let me know.

If/When you contact York make sure you tell them you are a CrossFitter and ask about the discount. I contacted Allison Foreman who had another thread on here very recently about York products at the Games this year.
I checked out their site and the bumpers look good. Only problem is what Jared mentioned, the inserts are bronze. After reading a number of past threads, people claim that steel is the best and that anything else will eventually cause the insert to fall out. Either way, being able to pick up the set would be a big plus for me since it would cut costs. Which bumpers are you getting? are these the ones: http://www.yorkbarbell.com/Commercia...ctType=Barbell Plates&Category=Solid Rubber Training Bumper Plates (LB) (wfs)

I'm looking into getting a pair of 10lb,25lb,35lb, and 45lb, (plus a barbell) and then get a pair of 2.5lb and 5lb from Dick's. I'm going to ask a friend where he got his bumpers from, and then if they are not better I'm going to order from York. I plan on ordering probably by the end of next week (hopefully), but I'll let you know when I do it so we can do a bulk order if there's anything else you want to get. Thanks for the tip about the Crossfit discount, didn't know about it. I'll give York a call tomorrow to see about pricing.

If I'm free for a day, a WOD would be sweet. However, I'm working down at Avalon for the summer and playing in golf tournaments, so schedule is kind of hectic; which is why I'm getting a weight set (lifted heavy like once in the past three weeks). I'll let ya know if I have an open day. Just curious, where do you live in relation to Aronimink Golf Club? I'm wondering because my family belongs there and it's in Newton Square.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Mark Cheney

Profile:

BFS - Bigger, Faster, Stronger - is another company to check out. They're based in Utah, so shipping might be prohibitive. My experience is that the 5 and 10# plates break and/or bend around the insert. Haven't had that problem with heavier plates. We just added York to our weightroom, and I've noticed that they don't bounce near as much as the BFS plates do.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:

You will always have trouble with 5 and 10 lb plates if you are using just them alone...just think about the science behind it. You are dropping a 45 lb bar, plus lets say 20 lbs in plates onto a skinny rubber surface. The force coming down on it is extremely high. The heavier plates are wider and distribute the force more plus being more dense absorb more.

Think about a sledge hammer vs and axe head...you apply the same force downward but they distribute that force much differently. Also you are much more likely to chip or break the axe head.

The brass is used for inserts to help protect the sleeve when dropping...steel is stronger but "could" cause more damage to the bar. The plates tend to fail around the insert b/c you are mating two different materials, that will always be a weak point. This will be true using composite, rubber or anything like that.

I have used both Wright and York. Yorks are prettier and the rubber is a bit harder. They are also much more expensive. Although Allison is able to get prices that we as a dealer can't even touch for you guys. We try though!!!

Wrights plates are great and Jason and crew stand behind their stuff 100% We love dealing with them.

Hi Temp uses the steel insert and I have not had the chance yet to play with them but I hope to soon.

You can check out a bunch of different bumper styles and prices at our site http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....w-all-products (wfs)
Old 06-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
William Henniger

Profile:

1) The steel inserts will not damage the sleeves!

2) The width of the Rogue HiTemp 10LB is 1.5" vs Brass Insert type at 1.125" so the surface contact area is different with the HiTemps

In short there are three families of training grade bumpers:

1) US made HiTemp with HD stainless steel inserts and recycled rubber

2) Brass Insert Type with Virgin Rubber

3) The latest MHTY type that have a steel insert and Virgin Rubber - Competition widths and they look very nice, there are no 10LB variants.

We have yet to replace a broken Rogue HiTemp 10LB plate, knock on wood. We designed them to be different than the other bumpers.

If we put our name on it then you can expect us to stand behind the equipment!

Bill
Old 06-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
1) The steel inserts will not damage the sleeves!

If we put our name on it then you can expect us to stand behind the equipment!

Bill
Please notice I put "could" in quotes. I agree with you 100%. I also know you guys make great stuff and have sent many people to you who have contacted us about wanting the Hi Temp plates.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
William Henniger

Profile:

Noah,

1) Competition plates use steel hubs, more of a disc design than sleeve but still they are steel.

2) Competition power lifting is done with steel plates

Damaging the sleeves with heavy lifts and/or high reps due to steel hubs is not an issue.

I understand your statement I just want to be clear that it is not a concern.

Bill
Old 06-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Thanks guys for the info and advice, right now it's between York and Rogue. I'm going to email Allison about pricing and then decide from there.